Boat trailer conversion to utility trailer

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat trailer conversion to utility trailer

Incoop, you're a trip man...lol. That is one fine peice of redneck engineering if I've ever seen one.

Thanks for the "Enlightenment" bro. Lol.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Incoop, you're a trip man...lol. That is one fine peice of redneck engineering if I've ever seen one.

Thanks for the "Enlightenment" bro. Lol.

Thanks man! That's a compliment coming from a Texan! Hope you're not being impacted by the fires.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks man! That's a compliment coming from a Texan! Hope you're not being impacted by the fires.

Lol..

Nope fires in my parts though it is very dry....... crispy dry which is ripe for fires. Good thing I'm heading to the lake this weekend..... the only fire that can get me out there is on my boat and lets hope THAT doesn't happen. Lol.

ajrunke

Seaman Apprentice

Let me get this straight....you converted a boat trailer to a flat bed trailer so you can haul a Boat????? :confused:
Yeah, don't you love the logic behind that? Lol.

An inflatable is a different beast. Plus with the camping I do, I can use this trailer to haul other items! it's a win win.

Sorry for the hijack aj. Just trying to defend you from the unenlightened.;)

No problem :), converted trailers fit into this thread, plus one as interesting as yours needs to be shared.

ajrunke

Seaman Apprentice

Well, after hitching up to a tree and attempting to yank it out, pounding on the hitch with a maul...I gave up trying to get the hitch out. I called a buddy and brought it to the shop that he works at. He heated it up, used an air hammer on it and still didn't budge. He then used the acetylene torch to heat it up until it was glowing bright bright orange. I was going to replace it anyway after it was heated up. After getting it orange, almost white hot, he used the air hammer again. Didn't budge. Finally we said screw it and he used the torch to cut it out. It proved more difficult then anticipated. After cutting section by section out, he heated the last sections up and finally it started moving. The hitch was on for 2-3 years. He said that his shop that sells quite a few trucks, he has to get the hitches out on all of them that come in and this was the hardest he's ever dealt with. :mad: I bought him a 24 pack and called it even.

Getting the hitch out proved to be the biggest PITA of the whole trailer conversion process. I used anti seize gunk on the hitch this time and plan on removing it and doing basic maintenance twice a year.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, after hitching up to a tree and attempting to yank it out, pounding on the hitch with a maul...I gave up trying to get the hitch out. I called a buddy and brought it to the shop that he works at. He heated it up, used an air hammer on it and still didn't budge. He then used the acetylene torch to heat it up until it was glowing bright bright orange. I was going to replace it anyway after it was heated up. After getting it orange, almost white hot, he used the air hammer again. Didn't budge. Finally we said screw it and he used the torch to cut it out. It proved more difficult then anticipated. After cutting section by section out, he heated the last sections up and finally it started moving. The hitch was on for 2-3 years. He said that his shop that sells quite a few trucks, he has to get the hitches out on all of them that come in and this was the hardest he's ever dealt with. :mad: I bought him a 24 pack and called it even.

Getting the hitch out proved to be the biggest PITA of the whole trailer conversion process. I used anti seize gunk on the hitch this time and plan on removing it and doing basic maintenance twice a year.

I would recomend some grease over Never seaze it will cause gaulding over time, they use never seize on sprockets, and gears at work, talk about a pain to get off. Have got the maintance men on my shift to use grease, talk about a differance after a year. Slides right off. Neverseize is for use in heat, disimular metals more than same metal ambiant temp. Also can just pull the reciever when not in use.

NYBo

Admiral

I never leave the ball mount in the receiver when not towing. One collision between a ball mount and my tibia years ago was enough to convince me!
smiley-ouch.gif

TRAILN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice work. I did the same conversion a few years back. Works great.

bob918

Recruit

nice conversion only 2 things I see wrong one already mentioned move the axle you'll be glad you did and two is you should have spaced the boards with at least a 16 penny nail for expansion and contraction in hot and cold and wet weather

ajrunke

Seaman Apprentice

Good point...and where I live there can be 120 degree difference between summer and winter.

Well, I've used it a handful of times and it works perfectly for the sib. I back into the water so about 1/4 of the trailer is under water and I simply push it off. It slides with ease and the utility trailer gives me a nice platform to walk on. And I transport it with the inflatable keel deflated. That way the tubes side flush on the trailer with them being completely supported by the bed.

Also, I do plan on moving the axle probably this winter when it's not in use. I can BARELY lift the tongue of the trailer when it's empty. It rides really nicely though. No bouncing and no impeding my turning. I don't even know it's behind me.