Trailer Registration Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

YachtSea2

Cadet
Re: Trailer Registration Option

Well I did it, called Maine sent a checck and within days I had my registration and a plate good till 2016. Thanks for the awsome info.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

As much as I hate paying taxes, you are screwing your own state out of money, and helping maine out. Nothing against maine, but I'd much rather my dollars stay local. Registration money almost always goes back to help out local resources, but if it its in the operating budget of whatever entity is doing your registration, they are just going to raise taxes in other areas to cover it.

And yes, it may be legal, but you are certainly going to attract the attention of a police officer, especially if he realizes what and why you did it. (see above) Keep in mind EVERYONE breaks various rules on the road, there are ones you aren't even away of that you probably break daily. (in other words, you can get stopped pretty much at any time)

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As much as I hate paying taxes, you are screwing your own state out of money, and helping maine out. Nothing against maine, but I'd much rather my dollars stay local. Registration money almost always goes back to help out local resources, but if it its in the operating budget of whatever entity is doing your registration, they are just going to raise taxes in other areas to cover it.

And yes, it may be legal, but you are certainly going to attract the attention of a police officer, especially if he realizes what and why you did it. (see above) Keep in mind EVERYONE breaks various rules on the road, there are ones you aren't even away of that you probably break daily. (in other words, you can get stopped pretty much at any time)

Move to MD or some other state that likes to stick it to you and you won't be feeling all high and mighty about talking about us not giving revenue to our own state. I have my trailer tagged in Maine. It is not against the law or any rule whatsoever.

For me to Register, Tag, and Title my trailer in MD for my $1200 Starcraft would have cost me $400 initially then $125/yr thereafter. Then on top of that add the $65 inspection fee and my trailer being a 1978 was missing the VIN plate so tack on another $150 for a new plate.

W/ Maine I paid a whopping $120 that covers me for the next 5 yrs. So who's sticking who in the end? I have a "loop hole" for this one but they continue to rape me everywhere else.

bigdee

Commander

Move to MD or some other state that likes to stick it to you and you won't be feeling all high and mighty about talking about us not giving revenue to our own state. I have my trailer tagged in Maine. It is not against the law or any rule whatsoever.

For me to Register, Tag, and Title my trailer in MD for my $1200 Starcraft would have cost me $400 initially then $125/yr thereafter. Then on top of that add the $65 inspection fee and my trailer being a 1978 was missing the VIN plate so tack on another $150 for a new plate.

W/ Maine I payed a whopping $120 that covers me for the next 5 yrs. So who's sticking who in the end? I have a "loop hole" for this one but they continue to rape me everywhere else.

A++ I am all for finding means to beat the tax coffers. There is no justification for a state to put a high tax on a light duty trailer that has absolutely no affect on road wear.

dave 524

Seaman

Wow:) we are used to paying more for everything in Canada but in Ontario a plate and registration for a trailer is $35 and the plate is good for life.

starfleet

Seaman Apprentice
A cop pulls you over you got a tag with a good sticker and registration from main that's all he wants to know.
If he asks why, thats where your summer cabin and boat are used or any other great story you want to make up.
Cant get in trouble for having all legal paperwork half the tractor trailers on the upper east coast are registered in maine for that reason

Status
Not open for further replies.