Trailer Registration Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erin Stewart

Cadet
If you need to register your trailer in the near future, you may want to consider registering in Maine. No, this is not spam! I am just trying to help those that may not know that you can register in Maine even if you are not a resident here. It's a option to consider as we head into the fall & holiday season. Sam at Maine Trailer Registratons will take care of you!;)

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trailer Registration Option

Yeah have fun giving that out of state reg' to your insurance company in your state when you're asking for a policy. They might not like you very much when you go to make a claim....

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think it works via a loop hole of a non motorized vehicle. It says registration for trailers only.Makes wonder about the local law reqs to tow trailers and registration.Its a hell of a way for your state to grab revenue from other states.Id definatley check local laws before trying it though.

DoGood

Seaman Apprentice

I tagged my trailers in Maine, used mbitrailer.com
cheap and easy

It very well could depend on local laws, but take a look at the big rig trailers, seems like more than half are tagged in Maine.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

That's a good company to get registered in if you're having problems elsewhere..... I've recomended that site many times over the years....thanks for re-posting

oldjeep

Admiral

$35 for lifetime registration (3500lb and under) in MN.

bigdee

Commander

Yeah have fun giving that out of state reg' to your insurance company in your state when you're asking for a policy. They might not like you very much when you go to make a claim....
Insurance companies don't give a hoot where it is registered or even if it is registered...it is considered insured personal property as long as you have a tittle to prove it is yours.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Not sure why you would want to register a boat trailer out of state unless you are having a tough time registering it for some reason because of ID numbers missing. The cost of registering these things is minimal.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Doesn't seem ethical to me, or even legal for that matter. There's a reason registration requirements are administered on a state level. Imagine being pulled over and having to explain to the officer why your vehicle tags and driver's license indicate residency in one state and your trailer tags another. Not an explanation I'd want to attempt.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Not sure why you would want to register a boat trailer out of state unless you are having a tough time registering it for some reason because of ID numbers missing. The cost of registering these things is minimal.
Why, becouse in my home state (MD) trailer tags are $125 a year. My trailer is registered in Maine for $95 for 5 years.

The insurance company could care less where it's tagged. In the 10 years I've had Maine plates, the police have never once questioned it. Maybe becouse they know it's legal in my State, and a host of others.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Why, becouse in my home state (MD) trailer tags are $125 a year.
Wow! You mean Maryland is higher than the welfare state of California! That's ridiculous.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

That's pretty steep dingbat. Thirty bucks gets us Arkies lifetime tags and the process is relatively easy. I can verify that any licensing irregularities around here WILL get you a hasslin' from da man.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Wow! You mean Maryland is higher than the welfare state of California! That's ridiculous.
That's the price you pay for living in the wealthiest state in country according to the 2010 census.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Why, becouse in my home state (MD) trailer tags are $125 a year.
That's crazy. I don't blame you!

I won't say what I think of California's economic policies this time since my last post got removed.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If you ask the DMV they will tell you it's illegal but......State law allows a "trailer" to be registered outside of the state under conditions that are easily met and very hard to prove otherwise.

bigdee

Commander

Boat trailers are not required to be registered in SC if they weigh under 2500lbs empty. I live in NC and it is $19/year plus property tax so registering in ME will only save a dollar plus any property tax. I live in a county with a very high tax rate so I have all my trailers and motor vehicles (except an old beater)reregistered in another county that has a much lower rate.....all you need to do to make this legal is have a post office box in that county.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

$55 a year to register a trailer in Collin county Texas. Sux man.

YachtSea2

Cadet

Maybe this will work for me, I bought 1958 Starcraft Jupiter with a trailer in Kansas and had it shipped to AZ. The MVD here (They cant spell DMV) wont let me register the trailer since there are no vin numbers on it. In Kansas you dont have to register trailers uder 2000 lbs. The only way they will let me do it is with a $1500 bond, a bill of sale (which I have) and the reciept from when it was purchased new. Hell this rusty old trailer sat out for over 50 years and God knows how many owners...........the original reciept...ya right

Status
Not open for further replies.