Fuel efficient tow vehicles options?

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Fuel efficient tow vehicles options?

Torque is torque and gear ratios are gear ratios. Your 400 foot pounds of torque thru a 3.21 rear puts 1,284 foot pounds at the rear wheel.

The Chevy 5.3 with its 330 pounds of torque and a 3.73 rear is going to put 1,230 pounds on the rear wheel.

A 4.3% increase in torque is not going to make much of a difference in the acceleration of the two vehicles. Certainly not a "world" of difference

I'm afraid that comparison doesn't mean much unless the trans is in 1:1 or the trucks have the same trans gear ratios. (btw in the ram 1:1 is 5th gear)

In any event I've owned 5.3L chev and 5.4L fords and they were both pretty weak compared to my 5.7L Ram. By comparison the 6.2 GMC my buddy has much better accelleration/tow power than my 5.7

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

your looking for a good looking 4 door vehical that is gas savy and can easily tow, lets say 20 foot bow rider. any one of the 3 major car companies make your perfect vehical. the f 150, dodge ram 1500, and the chevy hd 1500. you also mentioned a spending cap of about 18k i am pretty sure you could find an 08-09 1/2 ton 4 door in that area. brand new 1/2 tons start in the 25,000 range if your really shopping around looking for deals.

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's unlikely I'll do that option for that very reason. We are a family of 4 and already have a 2011 Honda Odyssey but after reading many posts on the pros and cons of towing with a minivan, I'd rather be safe and secure with a vehicle that's made for towing. The Nissan Pathfinder is one that keeps standing out due to their price and most of them come with the tow package. However, I?ve read mixed reviews on their gas mileage. That's why I started this thread to (hopefully) uncover more options for towing a boat and go from there.
thank you for using your head in this mini van can tow anything era we seem to be evolving into........as for a fuel efficient tow vehicle i cannot help you there as i dont feel they exist! lol but a pathfinder could be a fair choice. but i dont think theyre mileage in reality is much better than a truck

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Do keep in mind, most gear options are region based anymore. Walk a lot looking at new trucks and you'll see most 1500's have the same choice and most 2500/3500's are ordered one way too. The choice of what gears are offered are also scaled back a bit due to the increase in 6+speed transmissions. No longer are 4:10's necessarly or even really available because we arent depending upon 3 and 4 speed transmissions to do all the work. 4:30's and 4:56's are gone!

Really?... cause my tow rig's a 2008 model and has 4.30 gears and a 6 speed auto. a2a.jpg

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

Here?s my dilemma. My work is 25 miles from my house. Not too far, but it adds up if you have a gas hungry vehicle. I plan on getting a 18?-19? bowrider in the future and the tow vehicle will also be my daily driver. What are the best (used) options are out there for about $18k that gets decent gas mileage? I?m interested in either a 4 door truck or mid-sized SUV.

Thanks!

I guess it depends on what you call "decent". I had an 02 Tundra that was decent in my opinion... 4x4 d-cab with a V8 and I got 16-17 with a mix of city/highway. You could probably find one of those in your price range 99-06 Tundra's were a little smaller than your regular half tons, but they do a very nice job of towing and hauling the family. My newer Tundra (see pic above) does everything better than my 02 did, but may be a little more than you want to spend. The Gen II Tundra's started in 07 and up.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

when it comes to fuel efficiency take the smallest car which can do the job for your boat and of course with a I4 diesel engine and not a V8.

i had some days ago good results with a rented toyota RAV4 2.2 turbodiesel with 150 hp pulling my 22ft roughly 3200 lbs cabin boat. fuel consumption was about 12 litres diesel / 100km which is about 20 mpg of diesel. the car wit 4x4 and automatic transmission handled also well slipping this boat.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A GMC Envoy Denali would fit your budget. You should be able to get an 08 for 18-20K with less than 60K miles. Tow capacity is 6,600lbs and I get 17-18 mpg with mixed driving....but you have to keep your foot out of it. I tow about 5,500 lbs with it and the 5.3L does a very nice job. I like the Denali because it has all the creature comforts for the family to travel in, but a Trail Blazer or Envoy with the V8 option would work as well.

08Denali_1980Corronado.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

ummmm
5364250276_50abe37476_b.jpg

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I was refering to the domestics, I really dont keep tabs on the japan trucks to comment.

Oh here we go again....lol. Tundra's are closer to "domestics" than the domestics are. 85% NA content and built only in TX (they used to be built in Indiana too). No other manufacturer can brag about that. ;)

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

when it comes to fuel efficiency take the smallest car which can do the job for your boat and of course with a I4 diesel engine and not a V8.

i had some days ago good results with a rented toyota RAV4 2.2 turbodiesel with 150 hp pulling my 22ft roughly 3200 lbs cabin boat. fuel consumption was about 12 litres diesel / 100km which is about 20 mpg of diesel. the car wit 4x4 and automatic transmission handled also well slipping this boat.

I wish we could get more diesels over here in the States! A Rav4 with a diesel would be a great all-around vehicle!!

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Have had them all, Chevy, GMC, Ford, and best of all '08 Dodge 4 door 2W with Hemi. Now at 81,000 it may be time for a trade. Probably a new Dodge!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm glad you posted this because I just crunched some numbers and they really don't look all that bad. I drive my car during the week and we take the wife's car the rest of the time. I typically drive 15-16k miles a year and assuming gas stays near the same current prince ($3.60 here in NC) a 20 MPG truck would cost about $2,700 per year to run. This is assuming my calculations are correct which could be a stretch considering I suck at numbers.

If you go from a 30 mpg vehicle to a 20, at 15,000 miles per year, it's costing you only $900 more a year.* Hardly worth worrying about; your sales tax and licensing will eat that up, as would maintenance, insurance and taxes if you kept both. So I'd focus on getting a vehicle that will tow, and be comfortable and fairly efficient for the commute (and reliable!) and other use, without focusing on the mileage as a major factor.

Another factor is how far and often you plan to tow. Within reason, many stock vehicles will tow an 18' boat on a single axle trailer for a short or flat haul, without needed to spend the $$ on tow package extras. Not so for a 2 hour tow every weekend through desert hills. A big truck is seldom necessary. Before they invented SUV's the family sedan or stawag did fine!

* many people (like my daughter) think that when gas gets expensive they need to dump their existing vehicle for one that gets better mileage--usually something newer or more expensive than what they have. Once they do the math, the savings seldom approach the cost differential. I used to drive a paid-for landcruiser at 10 MPG but with a 8 mile commute (round trip) mileage was a non-issue, except when I was actually at the pump!

Flysfloatsor

Banned

Oh here we go again....lol. Tundra's are closer to "domestics" than the domestics are. 85% NA content and built only in TX (they used to be built in Indiana too). No other manufacturer can brag about that. ;)

Right on! The Tacoma or 4Runner would be a great choice for you (given the weight youll be towing)
Too bad they dont put the V8 in 4Runners anymore, but you can still find used ones. 09 was the last year.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Right on! The Tacoma or 4Runner would be a great choice for you (given the weight youll be towing)
Too bad they dont put the V8 in 4Runners anymore, but you can still find used ones. 09 was the last year.

Do us all a favor and get a 4runner :D I have the v8 4.7 and get 17-18 mpg towing. My dad's v6 4.0 gets closer to and actually has a higher towing limit of 7300#

aerobat

I wish we could get more diesels over here in the States! A Rav4 with a diesel would be a great all-around vehicle!!

yes, europe is much different here , also in fuel prices. but- where is the problem in the states to go to a toyota dealer and buy a RAV4 or similar with a diesel engine or look for a used one ? like said- it goes 20 mpg diesel fuel with a 3200lbs boat on the hook and easily 34 mpg when solo- with 4x4 drive , aircondition, automatic transmission. and solo it also goes 125 mph - so without boat a nice family car i must say.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 06 Trailblazer with the 5.3 and 3.73s. It tows better than my buddy's 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 HO, my Dad's 07 Lincoln Navigator Mark LT with the 5.4 and also the 11 Dodge 1500 with the 4.8. The Dodge got around 20mpg on a 200 mile round trip. The Lincoln I was lucky to pull 16mpg, and I have never asked my buddy about his gas mileage. Our Trailblazer gets about 17 around town and 21-22 on the highway on long trips. Of course towing all bets are off. I think we get about 15 towing the boat.

These are actually what I have driven and used myself. I cannot coment on anything else. I can say that my 96 Suburban 4x4 3/4 ton got 15mpg no matter what I did to it. I think I could tow a house down the road and still get 15mpg.

haulnazz15

Captain

yes, europe is much different here , also in fuel prices. but- where is the problem in the states to go to a toyota dealer and buy a RAV4 or similar with a diesel engine or look for a used one ?

The problem lies in the fact that you can't do it. Toyota does not sell a diesel-equipped Rav4 in the US, or a diesel-equipped ANYTHING for that matter. (commercial vehicles notwithstanding)

aerobat

why the hell that ???? modern direct injected turbo charged common rail diesel engines blow every gasoline V8 away in fuel efficiency and when it comes to torque and pulling force they can compare with V8 petrol engines... strange... ok- in this case a modern diesel in a suv is not an option in the US.

Tetondan37

Seaman Apprentice

I would suggest a GM or Dodge turbo diesel along with a Bully Dog Chip. You should get no less than 20MPG and will pull your boat with ease. Should be good for 300,000 miles too. Stay away from the Ford post 2003. I put $2000 in my 04 Powerstroke last month to keep it on the road.