How often should bearing buddies get greased?

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer
Is this just a personal choice? Or is there a basic rule of thumb? Nothing in the manual (trailer) or instructions (bearing buddies) about it. I did read somewhere on here to hit them with grease every 2nd dunking at the ramp. Is this good enough?

etracer68

Ensign
Re: How often should bearing buddies get greased?

I put on about 1000 miles a summer on my rig. I dont think it has anything to do with how many times the trailer is dunked. If there greased to much you can push grease past the seal, and then it squirts out all over. I personally hit mine with one shot if I see the center has moved in. I remove the hubs, and do a complete repack, and seals every three years. I keep checking them every time I get to the ramp, to see if there hot. Mine run very cool, even if running at 70 mph for an hour or more. I think there more for if they need grease, you can give them a shot without removing the hub. Thats my opinon, and its worked good for me, maybe others have differant opinons.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's good to atleast check the bearings every other season by pulling the hubs and inspecting, repacking and replacing seals. The bearing buddies keep pressure inside the hubs, so when they are submerged, the cooling hubs and bearings don't suck water in. Too much grease in the bearing buddies can blow out the rear seal defeating the whols purpose. Bearing buddies do not eliminate the need for regular maintenance and inspections.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I fill mine till the hub starts to move at the landing just before I put the boat in. ( no air space, no water gets in. I Never repack.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would at least pull the wheel just to see if there has been any water intrusion past the rear seal. If there has been, it is a good idea to inspect the bearings and repack.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

with out bearing buddies i'd do it every year with them i try to do every 2-3 years checking the hubs afer i tow it every time to see how warm they get.

bigdee

Commander

I visually check mine occasionally to make sure the piston hasn't moved all the way in and there is still spring pressure. I have not repacked in over 10 years and why should I?. At the beginning of each season I do a check by spinning each wheel and listening for noise and checking for play and run-out. I do not boat in salt water.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I fill my BB's every spring when I put in water, every fall when I pull it out, as far as checking the bearings about every 6 years because the triler just sits except for the 1/2 mile it gets every year to mobile home, and ramp, parking spot. What can I say I use a golf cart to do all this so at 25 tops it's no high speed.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I have 3 trailers. Each gets launched about 10 times per year, all fresh water. One only goes 2 miles to the ramp at 30 mph, every time. The other 2, in addition to that, go on a vacation that puts on about 600 miles each year.

I used to give them all 2 squirts when they got winterized, or how ever many needed to see the plate start to move. The 2 vacation trailers have been fine from the beginning. The "home" trailer has leaked out the rear seals for years.

I repacked them all this spring. ALL were full of grease, still green in color and no hint of a drop of water. The home trailer hadn't been repacked in 9 years.

So far no grease leaking yet. I guess if you only drive 40 miles per year, 2 squirts annually are too much.

Before i used buddies I would repack annually. It was 50/50 whether I would have a few drops of water in the hub or not. After seeing how good they work I'll never be without them. Of course, if I was in salt water I'd repack annually anyway.

stevegrant1

Cadet

I don't use bearing buddies. I believe in regular proper maintenance and I feel bearing buddies give people a false sense of comfort and a lot of people tend to over grease with bearing buddies. I take my hubs apart every spring and I use premium bearings (Timken) and a premium waterproof grease (Krazy Grease). Even though I check them every spring, I haven't had to repack with this bearing/grease combo in over four years. Bearings still in perfect condition after launching about 20 times per year.

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

i grease them once a year regardless of miles or dunkings

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The rim of the bearing buddy has a colored strip. You should be able to see about 1/8 inch of it. If there is less showing, give it grease until it pops out.

bigdee

Commander

The rim of the bearing buddy has a colored strip. You should be able to see about 1/8 inch of it. If there is less showing, give it grease until it pops out.

bearing buddies are the best invention since sliced bread.....they offer no advantage whatsoever for a trailer that is NOT dunked but they will definitely prevent water intrusion on a boat trailer so long as you keep them "charged" as the above poster stated. Unless your constantly dunking in salt water, re-packing every year is a waste of time. Just jack the wheel off the ground and give it a spin,if the bearings need attention you will know it by the sound and/or excessive play.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I visually check mine occasionally to make sure the piston hasn't moved all the way in and there is still spring pressure. I have not repacked in over 10 years and why should I?. At the beginning of each season I do a check by spinning each wheel and listening for noise and checking for play and run-out. I do not boat in salt water.

I'm with you on that... I have never pulled the hubs apart on any of my BB equipped trailers... Never have needed to!

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I'll end up pulling, inspecting & repacking the bearings over the off season because I plan on etching the trailer & painting it. It will be boatless & in the garage for this so it'll be a great time to check the bearings. Thanke for the reply's, although many different way's of doing/using bearing buddies. I'll just keep an eye on them for now. Tanx, MAXX