Ball and hitch seperated with lock still on. Saved by the chains and spare tire.

stevtech

Cadet
I am still trying to figure out what happened. I pulled out of my steep driveway and onto the highway, always with a little bounce. Felt the tuck being pulled and heard the spare tire on the front of the trailer squeal. Pulled to the side and had a thirty foot skid mark from the new tire a little flat on one side now. Had to unlock it to put the hitch back on the ball. Hooked it up and went for a boat ride. But can't figure out if the hitch failed or if I had it hooked up wrong. Everything is one year old and not used in salt water. Lowe FM165.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Ball and hitch serperated with lock still on. Saved by the chains and spare tire.

Re: Ball and hitch serperated with lock still on. Saved by the chains and spare tire.

Are you using the correct ball size? Also check the trailer coupler to see if it can be adjusted.

oldjeep

Admiral

Some couplers will actually allow the locking mechanism to wind up above the ball and still latch. Assuming you are using the correct sized ball, it sounds like that is what happened.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Some couplers will actually allow the locking mechanism to wind up above the ball and still latch. Assuming you are using the correct sized ball, it sounds like that is what happened.

What he said!! Properly coupled hitches rarely fail.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

What he said!! Properly coupled hitches rarely fail.

I've had this happen before although I've always caught it before I moved. I always try to verify it's actually trapped before I take off. It may help you to mount the hitch on the ball properly, then either use a mirror to see what it *should* look like when it's right. Then you'll know for sure if you'll just take the time to look before you go.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you search through this forum you will find a story about my ex son-in-laws failure to couple up the trailer properly. Unless that coupler drops down fully on the ball, it is possible to latch it with the coupler merely sitting on the ball. It should be very obvious when the coupler is all the way down -- especially when you are standing there cranking the tongue jack.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

It very easy to drop the coupler onto the ball and have it hang up. I find this usually happens if your backed up under the tongue to far. I've done it. I was in a hurry. It was my portable sawmill $30,000. I latched it and put the pin in. No brakes on the mill. It didn't pop off untill I was heading up a hill. The safety chains installed from the factory were not rated for the weight of the mill under the pressure of a disconnect. The hooks straightened out and the mill went down the hill. Thank someone no one was behind me. Since then I always replace the chains and hooks with properly rated ones on every trailer I tow. Quite frequently I find they are wrong from the factory. To make sure the ball is seated in the coupler I got into the habit of using my finger to feel for the connection. I tow for a couple of miles then recheck the connection. Usually at a fuel stop. Sometimes at the corner stop sign. Overly cautious now but it was an expensive lesson.

Kcsteve4

Cadet
Re: Ball and hitch seperated with lock still on. Saved by the chains and spare tire.

My new boat trailer has a viewing hole in the top of the hitch so you can see if the ball is seated in the hitch. Simple but great idea.

Jetwash

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Ball and hitch seperated with lock still on. Saved by the chains and spare tire.

The latch that grips the back side of the ball can pivot and prevent the hitch from dropping all the way. It can be moved with the lock lever. The NUT that tightens the assembly might be loose. Ive read where vandals have backed off the nut and either stolen the trailer or the trailer popped off and went in the ditch.

i would imagine the adjustment is to crank it tight and then back off the nut a specific amount of turns to allow complete movement of the hitch on the ball.

Cadet

Worry not my friend I believe everyone has done this once or twice if they're in a hurry. The catch is noticing it before you leave. I think most if not all trailers have a GVWR on them as well as suggested ball size. If the ball and the suggested ball size match up your in bidness. What I do when I hook up is tighten it down then give it little tug like your trying to lift it off the hitch. Every once in a while I'll change the ball and forget. Then I'm reminded when I do the lift test and drop a nut on the ground cause the trailer came off.

backyardhockey2

Seaman Apprentice

After I latch it. I crank UP on the jack. If I see the rear of the car lift I know it's good.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

After I latch it. I crank UP on the jack. If I see the rear of the car lift I know it's good.

That is a dangerous test to get used to, it only works well for light boats. If you have something that has a couple hundred pounds of tongue weight, the back of the tow vehicle is going to sag some. You can jack the trailer quite a bit, and the rear of the vehicle is going to come up. Doesn't mean its attached, just that you are relieving it of tongue weight.

Easier to either just reach under and feel the ball/latch, or stick your head under and visually confirm. (Which is what I do any time I'm hooking up a new vehicle/trailer, but safety first, don't get ANYTHING under the trailer tongue unless the jack is still down. If it its resting on the ball, and you stick your hand in there, it might decide now is a great time to slip past. Murphy loves a good boat ride.)

bandsawguy

Recruit

You need to be careful with older trailers. The coupler can become worn as well. My neighbour had a small tent trailer converted to a utility. He had the coupler come off. Turned out when locked on the ball one could grab the tongue and with a sharp jerk lift it off the ball. Wow he says I have been towing this trailer for 30 years and never had that happen. LOL. I welded a new coupler on for him.