12v electric trailer winch

housedocter

Cadet
what is the minimum lift capacity that I would need for my 215 Osprey Sport on a bunk trailer with a 2stroke 200 hsp merc? Gas tank of 100 gals. plus gear also. I figure the weight to be around 3800 lbs. Also which brand is better. Thanks for any info.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 12v electric trailer winch

A company called Power Winch makes a model 315 that can lift 4,000 lbs. My dad has one on his boat about the same weight and has had no problems.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

power winch and go with their ratings, which is by the boat, not the lift. If cutting it close, go for the bigger winch. You will want a right hefty one. Do you have rollers?
Power winch gives you an option of using a pulley to double your power but I suggest getting one that will pull it on straight.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You aren't dead lifting the boat!

No, he is not hoisting it. He is making allowances for the silly way they rate winches.

A #2500 winch will pull #2500 the first wrap around the drum. Each wrap after that decreases the winches pull per unit input. By the time you get all the cable back on the spool you will need twice as much input to generate the same amount of pull. Anyone who has ever winched a boat on a trailer by hand to attest to the increase in demand.

With a manual winch your can put some shoulder into and compensate for the lost of torque. With an electric, you have a fixed amount of HP to work with. You exceed the HP rating of the motor, the motor stalls and you burn it up.

If you want to save a couple of bucks, could buy a smaller winch and use a torque pulley to make up for the difference. The problem with a torque pulley is that reduces your retrieval speed significantly, you have added another point of failure and the service factor of the motor comes into play. A power winch isn?t the place to be ?thrifty?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Interesting. I always noticed the difference between starting and finishing on a hand winch but assumed it was either more boat weight, or me getting tired. I'm sure, too, there's a factor as the boat moves from water, steep on the trailer, flat on the rollers--it's not an even pull.
With my power winch, when the boat gets further up, and the winch strains, I just mash on the button harder to help it.

Even though, as you said, the rating system doesn't make practical sense, I recall that PowerWinch (brand) provides boat weight ranges--that's the info we non-engineers need. There should also be a difference whether you have rollers, float or not, tilt, or a particularly steep ramp. I agree, stick with the name brand and winches designed for boats.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No, he is not hoisting it. He is making allowances for the silly way they rate winches.

A #2500 winch will pull #2500 the first wrap around the drum. Each wrap after that decreases the winches pull per unit input. By the time you get all the cable back on the spool you will need twice as much input to generate the same amount of pull. Anyone who has ever winched a boat on a trailer by hand to attest to the increase in demand.

With a manual winch your can put some shoulder into and compensate for the lost of torque. With an electric, you have a fixed amount of HP to work with. You exceed the HP rating of the motor, the motor stalls and you burn it up.

If you want to save a couple of bucks, could buy a smaller winch and use a torque pulley to make up for the difference. The problem with a torque pulley is that reduces your retrieval speed significantly, you have added another point of failure and the service factor of the motor comes into play. A power winch isn?t the place to be ?thrifty?

Thank you for the respose, I use a 4000# winch to roll 1500# out of a machine and have to do in short burst so not to burn winch. I just gave a simple answer with no explenation because he ask the question, and didn't want to have to explain all the peticulars.