TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

cribber

Lieutenant
I need to replace the bunks on my trailer and was would like to know if anyone else has used TREX composite decking material for building new bunks.

They make it in 2x4 and 2x6 dimensions that would get wrapped in typical bunk style carpet. It would be practically rot proof and the spec sheets on the strength of the material is pretty decent.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

too flexible :(

If you have a fiberglass boat I would use pressure treated wood..... cheaper and will really last a long time.

cribber

Lieutenant

That's my issue... the pressure treated lumber on the set that needs to be replaced lasted three years from new before it rotted out.

My current ones are 8 foot long 2x6s and the acidic lake water has rotted out the wood around the back two brackets. And the EZ-Loader warranty is only two years.:mad:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Coat the wood in marine varnish about 5 or 6 coats before you carpet the wood. There are various grades of PT wood and be sure it is .60 pressure treated or 2.5 which is the best for water use.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

You can reinforce the underside of a Trex bunk with an 1-1/2x1-1/2x 3/16" angle bolted to the bottom as close to the center line of the bunk as possible and drilling it for your existing bunk mounts. Bolt the trex to the angle. Plenty strong.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

That's my issue... the pressure treated lumber on the set that needs to be replaced lasted three years from new before it rotted out.

My current ones are 8 foot long 2x6s and the acidic lake water has rotted out the wood around the back two brackets. And the EZ-Loader warranty is only two years.:mad:
Call your local sawmill and get some rough cut cypress.
Will likely never have to replace the bunks again.
Without having to coat it in anything, ever.

cribber

Lieutenant

Thanks Jeeperman I didn't think about using cypress!!! I'll need to pop down to the lumberyard and see if they have any in stock.

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

and dont carpet the bottom of the bunks.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

If going with composite, you will definitely need more supports (they don't have the structural strength of real wood - read the mfrs. specs VERY carefully). Composite will also mold/mildew over time (PVC is better).

If you have an aluminum boat, ditch the carpet altogether (it hastens corrosion of aluminum esp. if using pressure-treated wood).

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

If going with composite, you will definitely need more supports (they don't have the structural strength of real wood - read the mfrs. specs VERY carefully). Composite will also mold/mildew over time (PVC is better).

If you have an aluminum boat, ditch the carpet altogether (it hastens corrosion of aluminum esp. if using pressure-treated wood).

Right on with the support issue. Composites have no linear strength without closely spaced support. Even on a house deck at 16" on centers the boards will still sag.

I do restoration mill work and use an inexpensive grade of mahogany where ever wood has to meet moisture. Mahogany has excellent rot resistance qualities. It not as expensive as you think. But I do by it in 5000 bf quantities.

cribber

Lieutenant

I couldn't in all good consciousness use mahagony as bunks. Now if it was to hold up a mahogony boat that would be different.:D

I think I'll be going with the cypress since a 2x6 eight foot board goes for around $16 each locally.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess I have been desensitized to its use. Everyone I supply it to, paints it. 2x6 Sapele mahogany would sell less than cypress. But in my area cypress sells at a small premium because of the shipping. Good luck with the bunks.

Jetwash

Seaman Apprentice

Call your local sawmill and get some rough cut cypress.
Will likely never have to replace the bunks again.
Without having to coat it in anything, ever.

Another fan of Swamp loggers

cribber

Lieutenant

I guess I have been desensitized to its use. Everyone I supply it to, paints it. 2x6 Sapele mahogany would sell less than cypress. But in my area cypress sells at a small premium because of the shipping. Good luck with the bunks.

Mahogany was the first wood I got to work with in wood shop way back in the day. It's just too beautiful of a wood to cover in carpet. I'm a huge fan of those old mahogany Chris Craft boats and got to help build a pumpkin seed sailboat out of mahogany strips when I was a kid. We named her Big Red since she glowed under all those coats of resin.