• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


  • TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

    I need to replace the bunks on my trailer and was would like to know if anyone else has used TREX composite decking material for building new bunks.

    They make it in 2x4 and 2x6 dimensions that would get wrapped in typical bunk style carpet. It would be practically rot proof and the spec sheets on the strength of the material is pretty decent.
    sigpic

    We be boat peeps
    2008 GT-185 3.0l Penta


  • #2
    Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

    too flexible

    If you have a fiberglass boat I would use pressure treated wood..... cheaper and will really last a long time.
    This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
    Please, shop iboats first!!

    Comment



    • #3
      Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

      +1 on what Bob said.
      ~~ This boat runs on gas, NOT thanks ~~

      Comment



      • #4
        Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

        That's my issue... the pressure treated lumber on the set that needs to be replaced lasted three years from new before it rotted out.

        My current ones are 8 foot long 2x6s and the acidic lake water has rotted out the wood around the back two brackets. And the EZ-Loader warranty is only two years.
        sigpic

        We be boat peeps
        2008 GT-185 3.0l Penta

        Comment



        • #5
          Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

          Coat the wood in marine varnish about 5 or 6 coats before you carpet the wood. There are various grades of PT wood and be sure it is .60 pressure treated or 2.5 which is the best for water use.
          This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
          Please, shop iboats first!!

          Comment



          • #6
            Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

            You can reinforce the underside of a Trex bunk with an 1-1/2x1-1/2x 3/16" angle bolted to the bottom as close to the center line of the bunk as possible and drilling it for your existing bunk mounts. Bolt the trex to the angle. Plenty strong.
            90 Carver Montego 21.5 (23') "Lady Minna" (yes a name change in honor of our fallen Labrador. Poseidon understands.)

            In the immortal words of Hunter S. Thompson:
            "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
            arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
            in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
            and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

            Comment



            • #7
              Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

              Originally posted by cribber View Post
              That's my issue... the pressure treated lumber on the set that needs to be replaced lasted three years from new before it rotted out.

              My current ones are 8 foot long 2x6s and the acidic lake water has rotted out the wood around the back two brackets. And the EZ-Loader warranty is only two years.
              Call your local sawmill and get some rough cut cypress.
              Will likely never have to replace the bunks again.
              Without having to coat it in anything, ever.

              Comment



              • #8
                Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

                Thanks Jeeperman I didn't think about using cypress!!! I'll need to pop down to the lumberyard and see if they have any in stock.
                sigpic

                We be boat peeps
                2008 GT-185 3.0l Penta

                Comment



                • #9
                  Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

                  and dont carpet the bottom of the bunks.
                  sigpic1999 Chris Craft 200 Bowrider "Cirrhosis of the River II"
                  1968 Aluminum 14' DuraCraft w/ 25R73 Johnson

                  Comment



                  • #10
                    Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

                    If going with composite, you will definitely need more supports (they don't have the structural strength of real wood - read the mfrs. specs VERY carefully). Composite will also mold/mildew over time (PVC is better).

                    If you have an aluminum boat, ditch the carpet altogether (it hastens corrosion of aluminum esp. if using pressure-treated wood).

                    Comment



                    • #11
                      Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

                      Originally posted by mrdancer View Post
                      If going with composite, you will definitely need more supports (they don't have the structural strength of real wood - read the mfrs. specs VERY carefully). Composite will also mold/mildew over time (PVC is better).

                      If you have an aluminum boat, ditch the carpet altogether (it hastens corrosion of aluminum esp. if using pressure-treated wood).

                      Right on with the support issue. Composites have no linear strength without closely spaced support. Even on a house deck at 16" on centers the boards will still sag.

                      I do restoration mill work and use an inexpensive grade of mahogany where ever wood has to meet moisture. Mahogany has excellent rot resistance qualities. It not as expensive as you think. But I do by it in 5000 bf quantities.
                      sigpic

                      Comment



                      • #12
                        Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

                        I couldn't in all good consciousness use mahagony as bunks. Now if it was to hold up a mahogony boat that would be different.

                        I think I'll be going with the cypress since a 2x6 eight foot board goes for around $16 each locally.
                        sigpic

                        We be boat peeps
                        2008 GT-185 3.0l Penta

                        Comment



                        • #13
                          Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

                          I guess I have been desensitized to its use. Everyone I supply it to, paints it. 2x6 Sapele mahogany would sell less than cypress. But in my area cypress sells at a small premium because of the shipping. Good luck with the bunks.
                          sigpic

                          Comment



                          • #14
                            Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

                            Originally posted by jeeperman View Post
                            Call your local sawmill and get some rough cut cypress.
                            Will likely never have to replace the bunks again.
                            Without having to coat it in anything, ever.
                            Another fan of Swamp loggers

                            Comment



                            • #15
                              Re: TREX Composite Material For Trailer Bunks

                              Originally posted by Gun Dog View Post
                              I guess I have been desensitized to its use. Everyone I supply it to, paints it. 2x6 Sapele mahogany would sell less than cypress. But in my area cypress sells at a small premium because of the shipping. Good luck with the bunks.
                              Mahogany was the first wood I got to work with in wood shop way back in the day. It's just too beautiful of a wood to cover in carpet. I'm a huge fan of those old mahogany Chris Craft boats and got to help build a pumpkin seed sailboat out of mahogany strips when I was a kid. We named her Big Red since she glowed under all those coats of resin.
                              sigpic

                              We be boat peeps
                              2008 GT-185 3.0l Penta

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X