17' to 25' single axle EZ load Shorelander adjustable single axle trailer

Rutro72

Recruit
Anyone know if this single axel trailer will haul a 22 foot bayliner capri? Any ideas what the weight capacity of this trailer is? I can not find the serial number because someone has painted the trailer. Any help would be appreciated.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 17' to 25' single axle EZ load Shorelander adjustable single axle trailer

Look for the maximun load rating on the tire. Multiple the load rating on the tires by two (single axle) and that is the maximun possible capacity of the trailer.

Is that more or less than the weight of the boat and trailer combined? Doubtful.

Rutro72

Recruit

Thanks,

That makes sense. It has 13" class C tires but I am being told it will accept up to a 15" tire class D which dramatically increases the load capacity. Any thoughts on that?

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I would prefer to know from Shorelander what the capacity is. Why not call them with what information you do have, perhaps from the registration or title, or Bill of Sale. They should have no problem helping you.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Bob's Garage. You're at the upper end (weight-wise) of the single-axle range. Common axles
range from 1000 lb to 3500 lb max capacity. Your Bayliner probably weighs at least 2500 lbs, more likely
around 3000 loaded. Then you have to add the weight of the trailer frame. Call Shorelander!!

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Take a close look at the axle, especially between the backing plate and the spring mount. Frequently I have found metal tags (similar to a zip-tie) with the weight capacity of the AXLE clearly stamped on the tag. If your trailer has brakes, I would suspect a 3500# axle: without brakes, no more than 2500#s. The ultimate capacity, as previouly mentioned, will be determined by the tire capacity. Check your state trailer laws: most states require brakes when >3000#s.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I would prefer to know from Shorelander what the capacity is. Why not call them with what information you do have, perhaps from the registration or title, or Bill of Sale. They should have no problem helping you.

I checked the Ez-loader trailer web site, and based on what you have furnished for information, I could not find an exact match. I did find a 17-20' trailer that was rated 2800#, single axle 13" tires, and a 4000# rated, tandem axle 13" wheel trailer, 17-20'.

My instinct tell me that if the person telling you that the tires can be changed to accommodate a heavier load is the same person trying to sell you the trailer. And a load of BS. Don't make a mistake that you will really regret. Buy a trailer rated to carry the load you expect to put on it, as well as the weight of the trailer. That means boat weight (including engine), equipment, fuel, gear, and the trailer.

Any short cuts will only cost you more in the long run with repairs, up grades, and aggravation, at the very least.

A proper trailer can make the difference between enjoyment of your boat, and not wanting to use it.

Good luck!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The axle is rated for 3500# (boat plus trailer plus gear). You can indeed put larger tires on the trailer but it still has a 3500# gross capacity.

Rutro72

Recruit

Thanks to everyone who replied. I do know my boat weight now is 2600lbs unloaded. Seems i am right at the breaking point depending on the weight of the trailer itself.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

how did you get that weight? If you "looked it up" then you really can't know..... If that is the case and you have a trailer available at all, load up the boat and go weigh it.... It COULD turn out to be that same weight but if you are going off of specs online then they are very often low.

Rutro72

Recruit

I called Bayliner direct and that is what they told me with no batteries or fuel. They said to add 7 pounds per gallon of fuel.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well it's an ok starting point then.... still need to weigh it tho if you end up putting it on a trailer that is close .... You never know how much water weight could be soaked into the flotation foam...

Personally tho I'd be looking for a tandem trailer