Titan Model 10 Hitch

sam60

Captain
If you have a Titan hydraulic hitch, you may want to pull it apart if you haven't had the trailer since it was new.

Mine was cooked where grease needed to allow parts to rotate (1993). Next thing to figure out is if I have the reverse release brake assembly inside the drums. It likes to brake when backing up and is not equipped with the reverse lockout solenoid.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 0

sam60

Captain
Re: Titan Model 10 Hitch

Forgot to mention that I will be coating everything with any grease other than no grease.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I had mine apart just recently... it was not nearly as clean as yours inside tho... I also don't have a reverse lockout... never even considered that there might be something in the drums tho

sam60

Captain

The first photo was after I cleaned the pins and wheels. It was hard baked grease on all of them, but after 2 days of diesel fuel and a parts cleaning brush, I dried them and took them to my wire wheel on the grinder. I can see how the maintanence of this part could be easily overlooked.

sam60

Captain

I have the standard non-reverse lockout drum brakes. 10" x 2-1/4" Uni-servo non-premier. Hopefully the trailer manufacturer didn't use a poor combination of hitch and brake packages.

006.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

mine was nothing but rust.... one of my two shocks was rusted out also.... currently it is back together with just one... my master cylinder was rusted up also.... I have it all cleaned up and back together but haven't pulled it yet... I did make all new brake lines too as they were all rusted and broken in several places. I'm not sure if I will eventually go with electric brakes of set these up with a lockout and some more new parts... thanks for the link btw

sam60

Captain

Sounds like mine are in pretty good shape, and your welcome for the link. Did you ever have brake lockup problems backing your trailer? I do not find any instructions in the mod. 10 manual for a pin to lock it out. I may have to drill the tongue and make my own worst case.

I can't imagine that this boat has been launched many times with back-up problems without a cure.

There must be a few hundred iboats members with this hitch. Hopefully we will figure out the back up lock issue. Maybe I will need to add the solenoid.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I have yet to pull it with working brakes or even verify that they actually work beyond building pressure in the lines... You can install an electric solenoid valve and either control it with a toggle on the dash (my preference) or hook it up to the backup lights

sam60

Captain

I think I will go forward and order the reverse lockout solenoid.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For a reverse lockout, how about drilling a hole through and slipping a sturdy bolt through?
I have seen some people around here use a Heavy Duty C clamp to prevent the plunger from going in.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Personally, I would change out the uni-servo brakes or free backing brakes and forget about the solenoid.

sam60

Captain

For less than 50 bucks, I can add the solenoid, wire it too a true 7-pin plug and forget about it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

For less than 50 bucks, I can add the solenoid, wire it too a true 7-pin plug and forget about it.

The blocking solenoids are completely useless. Don?t expect to be able to back up the smallest incline with one. The tongue must be fully extended before you put the truck in reverse. You would be surprised how many times this isn?t possible do to the terrain. I had to get out of the truck and use the manual lockout more times than I care to remember and usually at the most inopportune times.

The vented solenoids work better, but you?ll need to drill and tap your master cylinder to accept the return line. Even then you will still have problems from time to time. My driveway has a small incline as you make the turn for the garage. I have a 50/50 chance of being able to back up it at any given time. Sometimes it takes me 3-4 tries till the stars align and I?m able to back up the hill.

If there was some other method of locking out the brakes to back up, I'd be there.

sam60

Captain

OK. I talked to the trailer manufacturer today and he was willing to sell the solenoid and adaptor fittings for $28.00. I think I will 1st try to create a pin location to keep the roller from activating the brake cylinder. Thanks for your advice!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

that is exactly why I prefer a toggle switch on the dash... put it in drive... gas it a little and then flip the switch... now you can back anywhere as many times as you need to.... I also install a bright red light labeled brake override

sam60

Captain

I get it. Once you apply the brakes, no matter how gently, you've applied movement to the brake cylinder piston. So tap the backup light circuit to activate the switch and bypass the gear selector switch?

sam60

Captain

I have the wiring diagram for my truck and will look into the added amp draw, but will probably add a relay.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you are close.... skip the backup light circuit completely.... tap into the acy or ign circuit on the truck.... ie ign on = 12v+ ....... wire that to the switch and then to the trailer plug and the warning light if you have one... you won't need a relay.

sam60

Captain

Yeah, all I need is the switched voltage. That really sounds like it will work well. A goose to the throttle while rolling forward slowly and hit the switch.

I'll need to make sure the hydraulic system is tight and free of any leaks on the reservoir cap, upstream side of solenoid, etc.

Thanks Kevin.