Electric Winch?

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I know there are some Threads on the subjectin this Forum, but from what I've read in them, the people that want one/have one are much younger than we are and don't have some "arthritis" in their hands. So, with that being said, here goes:
My wife is having trouble cranking our boat up to the roller. She has never really had that much strength in her hands and now that she is in her mid 60's, it's a little worse. It's just her and I that launch/retrieve the boat, which is a 20' cuddy cabin with a large 5.7L engine. So, I was giving it some thought about buying an electric winch, having it installed and with a push of a button......up comes the boat to the roller.
So, have any of you had an electric winch installed on your trailer due to the same circumstance? How has it worked for you? Do you worry about someone possibly stealing the winch or is it locked down/bolted down, so it can't be stolen?
She can continue to use the winch, but an electric one would sure make it easier for her. Another option.......putting the boat into Dry Storage would make it easier for both of us (I'm almost 62). But, Dry Storage isn't cheap and costs extra to store trailer.
Oh, decisions, decisions!!

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Electric Winch?

I don't have one but you should be okay if you put a cover over it... no one would know its a high dollar winch :) I think bolted down would be adequate. Or maybe you could come on to the trailer with a little more steam and get closer to the stop. I understand... I think the electric would be great for you guys.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I recently downsized because at 57 I'm just not as eager to work hard at things anymore. My 16' Jetcraft is light and easy to load but I've also been intrigued by the electric winches so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I believe that if I were to buy one, I'd probably go with the Fulton since the name is well recognized in the industry.

Brewman61

Ensign

Go for it. They're made for the task, so no worries. Regarding theft? I suppose it's possible. Not sure how much I'd worry about it.
Perhaps they can be locked on somehow.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Electric winches are a little slower but if you cant crank it anyway, go electric! As far as locking it, there are a few ways, the easiest would be to put a spot weld on the nut after tightening, It can be ground off to remove later but not readily. Also you could use locktight and hope its just hard enough to make anyone "Move on" Normally, you've only got to make it a little more difficult to steal not theft proof, thieves are LAZY. For things like this I usually use odd fasteners, like allen type or 12 point, I've even use aircraft fasteners called "Hi-Locks" Once installed the nut has to be littlerally cut off to remove it.

G

Electric wrinch, man that does sound good to me. I have a bad back and my 24 cuddy is hard to get on the trailer by myself because of the rollers it just rolls right back off. I have thougth about one before but just forgot about it. Maybe I should give a lot more thought and get one put on for MY sake.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

My boat weighs #5500 and an electric winch is the only way to go.

The worst parts is wiring up the truck. Some people mount a battery on the winch post and use the 12V aux. in a 7=pin connector to charge the battery. I choose to run a cable to the battery under the hood instead. That way I don't have to worry about someone stealing the battery or the battery going dead due to an issue with the charging system.

Do yourself a favor, electric winches are one of those things you get what you pay here. If you?re going to do it, spend the money and get the biggest and best winch you can afford.

Don?t buy by the advertised ratings. The winched are rated with an empty spool. As you wrap the cable back on the spool the amount of pull decreases. Even thogh my winch is rated at #4200, buy the time I get all the cable back on the winch the winch is only pulling #2400.A hand winches suffers the same problem which is why it bcomes harder and harder to winch as the boat gets closer to the post. You can?t compensate by cranking harder with an electric motor with a fixed output.

I have a Rule 42T which is rated to #4200 of pull on my boat. It pulls the boat on the trailer quite nicely until the spool get about 2/3 full. Then it takes every last bit of energy to pull it the remaining 4-5 feet to the stop. When this winch goes, I?m getting a #6000 winch to see how that works.

Fed

Commander

I fitted a Powerwinch (brand name) to my last 3 boats, two 712s on heavier boats & now a 315 on my current 17 footer.
They now have wireless remote control ones but the old lanyard string tied to the back of the trailer works very well for me, just hook the cable to the boat, pull the string & up she comes.
I get my Missus to sit in the car with her foot on the brake to make her feel like she's needed but with a Powerwinch it is truly a solo operation in any conditions.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I always had little boats. Then I bought my current one, which is about 2800 lbs. Even though its on an all-roller trailer, the first time I retreived it I worked up a sweat. Not that I had arthritis, or couldn't do it, but I decided to try a Powerwinch (brand).

I bought the accessory quick detatachable kit. The winch mounts on pegs with just one wing nut. It goes on or off in about 5 seconds. No muss, no fuss. Its in the trunk while the car / trailer is parked.

When I reload the boat, if I'm alone I use the tether cord, attached to the winch stand. I hold the gunnel to steady the boat, then pull the line. Once it goes past the back 2 rollers it loads by itself. I can stand there with an ice tea in one hand and the cable in the other, while the boat loads by itself. Did I also say that I don't get my feet wet?

Every single time I come home there is at least one other guy at the ramp that is up to his knees in the water cranking, with mouth wide open looking at me in amazement.

Ever hear the phrase "better than sliced bread"?

BTW, my winch is now 27 years old and still works perfect.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

God invented electricity for a reason! I have an electric winch on my 21 foot cuddy and I would not be without it. One finger and the motor does the work. Even my 110 pound significant other can do it. At 65 I am still strong enough to hand crank, but after a long hot day, who wants to? Besides, now I can let others do it

AND: There is no special need for sophisticated wiring. I use about 25 feet of #10 speaker cable with large alligator clips at the battery terminal end. run it out under the hood and along the bed to the winch. Leave tow vehicle running and run the winch. Afterward, remove cables, wind them up and put them in a side pocket of the truck.

The winch is bolted down but I keep mine covered to keep weather out of it. Only drawback is the steel cable. It does tend to splinter and can give a nasty cut. I don't have power out, so I wear gloves when pulling out the cable. I could use a strap, but then I would lose the reduction of the pulley at the bow eye end.

Fed

Commander

My first powerwinch came with stainless steel cable Frank it was a smooth as silk to use but all the later ones came with gal cable and the salt water really gets into them quickly.
When I replace my current cable it will be with SS for sure.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I would lose the reduction of the pulley at the bow eye end.
This explains how you where able to get away with 10 gauge wire and alligator clips.

I don't use a reduction pulley. Draws a little under 40 amps. I used 4 gauge and the motor still gets pretty warm.

LuvBoating

Sorry, but the reply I'm searching for would not be in this Thread.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Sorry, but the reply I'm searching for would not be in this Thread.

Sure there was some extra info provided that you didn't ask for. But, the 2 questions you posed in #1 were answered quite fully.

You also talked about dry storage - was there a question in that comment that didn't get replied to?

LuvBoating

The reply I was searching for included a photo showing a side-by-side hookup of two batteries to a Perko Switch. That reply, w/photo was not in this boating website/forum.

Sure there was some extra info provided that you didn't ask for. But, the 2 questions you posed in #1 were answered quite fully.

You also talked about dry storage - was there a question in that comment that didn't get replied to?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

The reply I was searching for included a photo showing a side-by-side hookup of two batteries to a Perko Switch. That reply, w/photo was not in this boating website/forum.

I'm pretty sure you have gotten mixed up.... what does a picture of two batts and a perko switch have to do with the question you asked?

LuvBoating

That's what I'm saying.......this Thread is asking about the electric winch, but I also have a Thread asking about batteries. I thought someone saw both Threads, replied to this one with a photo of a winch/battery pack and at the same time put a photo of a 2-battery set-up in the same reply. I had already posted a reply in this Thread asking about that battery photo and then found out that it was never put on this Thread in the first place. So, the only way to "edit" the posting was to say "sorry, but the reply I'm looking wouldn't be in this Thread"......because it wasn't.

I'm pretty sure you have gotten mixed up.... what does a picture of two batts and a perko switch have to do with the question you asked?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

gotcha..... I never saw your reply before you changed it...... I've done that too..... I just edit my post to say ".........." when I goof

rndn

Commander

Are there 120 volt trailer winches? I have a Toyota Tacoma with the optional 120 volt 400 watt outlet in the truck bed allowing me to just simply plug an extension cord into it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Are there 120 volt trailer winches? I have a Toyota Tacoma with the optional 120 volt 400 watt outlet in the truck bed allowing me to just simply plug an extension cord into it.
I can see the headline now:

A man was killed today while standing in knee deep water operating an AC powered electric motor. Witnesses said.......