• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulling 18' boat with Lincoln Town Car

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pulling 18' boat with Lincoln Town Car

The pawl that locks an automatic transmission in park isn't meant to be a parking brake. We all get away with it, but that isn't what it's designed for. Even the owners manual will recommend using the parking brake. And yeah, if you don't use some parking brakes regularly you may have a rusty mess to deal with. Good idea to apply the brakes at least once a month just to help keep it working smoothly.
    It also servers as an adjustment aid if you have rear drum brakes for some vehicles.

Comment

I just have a habit of always using the park brake no matter where I park... Although sometimes I forget it's on, put the car in gear, let off the brakes, then realize it's still on, DUH! Sadly though, many park brakes aren't going to hold a vehicle on a ramp with a boat behind it if the pawl in the tranny should fail.
      2008 Caravelle 217LS VP 5.0 GXi
      Tow vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4.7 2wd

Comment

Well I guess you guys are a lot more careful launchers than the folks around here. I drive a stick shift so of course I use the park brake on the ramp but I never see any auto trans drivers make that distinctive motion of hitting/releasing the e-brake upon getting back in their trucks to pull away.

Comment

Originally posted by 444 View Post
          Well I guess you guys are a lot more careful launchers than the folks around here. I drive a stick shift so of course I use the park brake on the ramp but I never see any auto trans drivers make that distinctive motion of hitting/releasing the e-brake upon getting back in their trucks to pull away.
          I just thought it was common sense... that's the problem, its not so common anymore.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Fordiesel69 View Post
            My glastron weighs 2050 dry. Trailer is probably 4-500?
            Your trailer estimate is likely way low. Plus what about the weight of motor (included already probably, I/O, right?), gear, gas, batteries, etc.? You should reassess just how much weight you are talking about towing here. If the car's limit is 2500lb you are almost certainly over that.

Comment

I just bought 3 relays (about $12 total) and made my own trailer power. One relay for left turn, one for right turn, one for brake. $4 each for the ones with the little LED on the relay. I also bought the trailer connector with 4 LED's on it - if I ever need to troubleshoot, I want lots of lights telling me where to look.
              I have a power amp in the trunk, so 12V power was already there- I fused the trailer lamp feed at 20A
              I suspect a towncar has power back there somewhere.
              My 07 CV is only rated for 1500 lbs, but some say that is because Ford wants to sell F150's.
              I put an oil cooler on the trans. Town car might already have one.
              Panther tows my 185 just fine. I have no ramp issues - the traction control is amazing on this car.
              Baba-buoy.

Comment

Hate to be Debbie Downer here, but...

Does the vehicle have enough power to physically pull the load? Can you stick a 3000+lb hitch on a car not rated to tow that much? Probably yes to both.
                Can it be done safely? Can you control and stop the load? Maybe...

But if the vehicle is rated to tow x lbs and you tow x+y lbs, you are going to be in a world of legal hurt in case of an accident--your fault or not.

(And yes, not only should you use the e-brake at the ramp, you should use chocks, too.)

Comment

Originally posted by ajgraz View Post

Does the vehicle have enough power to physically pull the load? Can you stick a 3000+lb hitch on a car not rated to tow that much? Probably yes to both.
                  Can it be done safely? Can you control and stop the load? Maybe...

But if the vehicle is rated to tow x lbs and you tow x+y lbs, you are going to be in a world of legal hurt in case of an accident--your fault or not.

(And yes, not only should you use the e-brake at the ramp, you should use chocks, too.)
                  Please... let's not cloud this argument with facts.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Splat View Post
                    Please... let's not cloud this argument with facts.

Bill
                    Facts require information to back them up.. This is all opinion on both sides of the argument, and this battle never gets settled. lol!

Comment

I 2nd the wheel block on a steep ramp- Anytime I have a decently heavy boat behind on a ramp I put a block behind a rear wheel- Park isnt designed to hold and the parking brake isnt the strongest in many vehicles.
                      -Chris
                      1999 Wellcraft Excalibur 20' 5.7Merc /A1
                      1997 Stingray 190RS/ 3.0L Merc --- SOLD
                      2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6/ 4x4
                      2004 Pontiac GTO M6 5.7L

Comment

Originally posted by ajgraz View Post

Can it be done safely? Can you control and stop the load?
                        towncar has a full frame, and the EXACT same engine and transmission as a V8 F150 truck and pretty decent 4 wheel disc brakes with a drum-in-rotor type parking brake.
                        It can be done safely, or dangerously - up to the driver -same as any tow vehicle
                        Baba-buoy.

Comment

^^^
                          Nice partial quote there. You neglected to include my objection.

I will defer to those who know better the capabilities of the vehicle in question as to whether it can be done.

As to whether it should be done, I stand by my argument that, based on the info provided, OP will be over the published tow rating of the vehicle, and that's problematic from a legal liability standpoint.

You could squeeze 6 people onto a 15' runabout instead of the 5 people it says on the placard. But you shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Sterndrive View Post
                            towncar has a full frame, and the EXACT same engine and transmission as a V8 F150 truck and pretty decent 4 wheel disc brakes with a drum-in-rotor type parking brake.
                            It can be done safely, or dangerously - up to the driver -same as any tow vehicle
                            That's all great good and even fine to get it going, but lets talk about the important stuff like center of gravity, weight distribution, and that little thing called a suspension. That's the stuff that really matters, I can get a semi trailer moving with my 2001 envoy with a 4.3l, but if it hits a bump and pushes me all over the road, or the suspension bottoms out and rolls every time I tap the brakes it's not a very effective or safe tow vehicle.

People need to deal with REAL weights, not guestimations, and work well within the manufactures recommended towing capacities for HOW THEIR VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED. If the OP deals with actual weights, and is within the vehicles intended towing capacity then I don't really see a problem with it. It may not be conventional, but if it's safe who cares.

Bill

Comment

The rear air bags in these cars are also used in the town car limos.. How much extra weight do you think those support? Or maybe a couple 200lb people in the back seat and all their luggage in the trunk of a taxi? That is quite a bit more weight than the tongue weight of an 18' fiberglass boat & trailer. In the early 90's the Crown Vic (with is a panther platform, as is the grand marquis and towncar) earned Trailer Boat Magazine "tow vehicle of the year".. since then it's gotten a hydroformed frame, more HP, better engine and transmission cooling, numerous tranny improvements, traction control, larger brakes, etc.

I'm not trying to argue that people should disregard manufacturer towing recommendations, all I am saying is that for me this vehicle works very well as my primary tow vehicle.. The wife's grand cherokee with the higher tow capacity and smaller brakes, less HP, no frame, no auto leveling suspension, and crappy gas mileage gets left at home in the garage.

Comment

A 1996 Town Car has up to a 5000 lb towing capacity...... (???)
                                http://www.edmunds.com/lincoln/town-...res-specs.html
                                Please no PMs. My mailbox is full anyway......

Comment

Working...
                                X