Illinois temp licence plate on trailer

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice
well i have had my cardboard Illinois temp licence plate for about 2 weeks now and everytime i put the trailer in the water i took the plate off so it would'nt get wet and fall apart because they said it would take 2 to 3 months to get the real plate. this past weekend because of pulling the boat in the rain the plate has fallen abort and the numbers have washed off the cardboard plate. so what do you guys do, i assume i can get another plate but what do i do to make that one last till i get the real one. i have been pulling the boat with no licence plate for the past few days and that is just giving the cops a reason to pull me over. any help is appreciated.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Illinois temp licence plate on trailer

Soooooooooooooo
Why does it take 2 or three months to get the real plate?

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome to Illinois

LOL, ya that about sums up why it takes 2 to 3 months to get the real plate, were in Illinois. just not sure what im going to do while im waiting. im guessing they will give me a new plate.

Gearhead62

Seaman

Its awful DMV here in IL.......Actually I would just make one using the actual numbers from the temp....copy, paste, etc., and laminate it. If you get stopped, you have paperwork to explain it away and cops should not bother you, depending where you are.

I have 2 trailers that need plates and title....Someone from thsi site turned me onto a State of Maine site that is supposed to be quick, w/ minimal paperwork and lasts 5 years....Land of Lincoln is not trailer friendly......Good luck

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

Just behave (as in don't do anything else illegal) for the next month or two, and if they pull you over you can explain the situation and they will leave you alone.

You could probably go to the DMV and get a replacement temp plate, but I would say it is more hassle than it is worth.

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice

ya i do not know the numbers because they washed off from the rain, so if i can get a new temp plate then i can just laminate that one and it should last a couple of months.

NYBo

Admiral

Soooooooooooooo
Why does it take 2 or three months to get the real plate?
First they have to arrest the guy, then there's the trial, then sending him to the "license plate factory".:p

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you buy the boat brand new?
I went to the dmv with my used rig and they gave me a plate right there....i wouldn't bother going back, they need to realize how poopy the cardboard plates are.

sstumpf

Seaman Apprentice

Did you buy the boat brand new?
I went to the dmv with my used rig and they gave me a plate right there....i wouldn't bother going back, they need to realize how poopy the cardboard plates are.

no i bought it used it is a 1998, but they told me it was going to 2 to 3 months. i think it is pretty stupid that they expect people with boat trailers to use a piece of cardboard for a license plate. also i asked the dmv what people do to make it last that long and they told me that most people put it in the rear window, but when i got home with the plate i noticed it clearly states on the back that it is illegal to put it in the rear window. i couldn't put it in the rear window of my truck anyways because the window has limo tent on it so you couldn't see it.