Winch cable replacement

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Have a winch that currantly has a cable on it that needs to be replaces and was looking to replace it with a strap. The problem I have is that the spool does not have a slot in it for a strap. Instead there are just four holes that the cable is threaded threw.

How would I attach a strap to this spool? Anyone with any ideas or do I need to go back with a cable? The winch is only a 1400# load capacity.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winch cable replacement

Just fold the strop over itself when you first attach it to the winch. The straps are about 20' long and there's no way it'll come off especially since you're only using about 5 feet anyway. The strap will tighted itself up on the winch each time you use it.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

See that's the problem there is nowhere to attach it to the spool. Also was looking at one that is 16' as this is a roller trailer with a 14' boat.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my strap winch there is a small bolt that is threaded thru loop in strap. You could drill both sides of winch and find a bolt or just go back with cable.

Last edited:

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Are the four holes in the flanged part or the center part of the spool?
Sometimes you can use two holes in the flanges that are opposite of each other. And use a long bolt that will tie the two flanges together. Then make like a loop on the end of strap and thread the long bolt thru the loop.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

On my strap winch there is a small bolt that is threaded thru loop in strap. You could drill both sides of winch and find a bolt or just go back with cable.

Well to my amazement it will work out just as you stated! My wife picked up a strap on her way home from work because she passes right past a shop. The new strap has a loop along with a bolt and after looking more closely I see that there are 2 holes in the flanges of the spool for the bolt. Will be a breeze now. Thanks everyone!