Homemade transom savers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DJ

Re: Homemade transom savers?

Anyway, I've always had this nagging question bothering me about transom savers. then I've been told by others when lowering the outboard into the V of the transom saver to continue lowering the hydraulic cylinders until the outboard snugs the lower unit tightly into the transom saver and then bungee it off.

I knew a guy that swore by that method UNTIL his bungee snapped. The transom saver popped out, engine fell and he dragged his lower unit down the freeway until the pavement and the gears in the gearcase were acquainted.:eek::facepalm:

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Before I posted in this thread I went back and read the forum rules again.
"NOTE: Some threads are never ending due to the subject or nature of the thread. Administration and Moderators do take this into consideration."
So, does anyone have more ideas for how they built their own Transom Saver?

440roadrunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Homemade transom savers?

You don't need a transom saver for a small motor (like the 7.5 above). You may need something to keep the motor tilted up if the motor doesn't have a working tilt latch or bracket. A broomstick will do, tied on.

If your trailer doesn't have a rear cross bar, it is a sign that you do not need a transom saver.
If your trailer has a rear cross bar, and your motor has a tilt bracket, it is a sign that you do not need a transom saver.
If your transom needs a saver, it is a sign you need to repair your transom.

The only device you might need in some circumstances is to keep the motor's tilt latch from coming unlatched if you hit a bump, the motor lifts up, trips the latch, and falls down to the runnning position, and your trailer doesn't have enough clearance for the skeg. Most trailers have a few inches, which is enough to stop and fix it. But the best cure is to tie down the motor against the latch so it doesn't bounce loose.
I would NEVER recommend someone depend on a tilt latch instead of a transom saver. Maybe you don't have some of the roads "I grew up with" around here, but you get a boat, headed to/ from a small lake on a washboard county road, "you'll find out."

I have a few small trolling motors. Up through 7 1/2 I use some sort of tie down to keep them tilted, tied forward to the rear seat. Anything in the main engine position gets the transom saver. It's just more secure, keeps the unit up off the ground, and won't break anything on the mount.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
maybe the old tried and proved 2x4 wired in place and a proper tie down strap.

Or get a proper trailer which sets high enough to keep the motor from dragging on the road.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
And lots of transom savers at rummage sales and craigslist for $5-10.

FWIW, dad bought a new alumacraft boat in '96, 16' 9", rated for 50hp.
He had a 25 on it. Properly sized and setup trailer.

No saver.
Transom was split and bowed out after 3 years of running the gravel Dad bought a new boat in '96, 16'10", rated for 50 hp.
He had a 25hp on it, on a properly sized and set up trailer. After 3 years, the transom was cracked and bowed out 2+ inches. He used it on many gravel roads, and the logging roads in NW Ontario.

We replaced it, found no rot inside.
I bought him a saver, and the transom held up fine 18 more years on the same roads. Just sayin. The bumps and the harmonics of an oscillating trailer can wreck a transom.

And the trailer was shot after 5 years on those roads. Tongue was cracked, and a complete roller assembly snapped off, causing the boat to slam down and puncture.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Too many odd boaters that don't use common sense. Nothing better than a bungee cord to hold the engine secure in the full lower position.

I see so many guys with older boats with the engine in full up position, when they actually have ample road clearance to keep it down.

Case in point - my FIL. Had to keep the engine on tilt lock. Once i followed him on a bad road to the summer cottage and I told him he was crazy that the engine was flopping reallyyyyy bad. When I dropped it he had a good 16" road clearance. On his next vacation the transom of his tinny completely separated from the boat, engine included, and his fishing trip was ruined.

wooky30014

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here ya go
When I bought my "new" boat back in January the guy included a transom saver that looks similar to your pictures though I think this one is / was a store bought item and the length of it I think he put two together to make this one. The bottom end is U-shaped and goes around the rear roller and the top end has two little pivoting arms with rubber feet that cup the lower gear case, a bungee holds it all together up there

Status
Not open for further replies.