Ranger Trailer brakes

Lunker295

Cadet
I have 1996 ranger trailer, single axle with brakes. Sometimes when I back up the trailer brakes lock up. If I let the truck idle backwards the brakes do not lock up but if give it more gas to go faster the trailer brakes lock up. Any help here. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Ranger Trailer brakes

I have 1996 ranger trailer, single axle with brakes. Sometimes when I back up the trailer brakes lock up. If I let the truck idle backwards the brakes do not lock up but if give it more gas to go faster the trailer brakes lock up. Any help here. Thanks

Ayuh,... You obviously have Surge brakes,...
There should be either a manual pin type lock-out, or an electric solenoid lock-out, powered by the backup lights...

Got a picture of the Coupler hitch,..??

Lunker295

Cadet

I have disc brakes, electric solinord thats wired to the reverse/back up lights.

Lunker295

Cadet

So just simply disconnect that wire and it will work ok. Or should it be hooked up to the brake light

Lunker295

Cadet

So just simply disconnect that wire and it will work ok. Or should it be hooked up to the brake light

Lunker295

Cadet

Sorry, I miss read. Yes, there is power to the solenoid when in reverse. We took the noid apart and it is working. Should I move the noid wire to another power source or what do you think.

NYBo

Admiral

No, it is supposed to be powered when the tow vehicle is in reverse. Put everything back together and apply power to the solenoid. Does the solenoid still move and block the master cylinder from engaging when you push on the nose of the coupler?