• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ranger Trailer brakes

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranger Trailer brakes

I have 1996 ranger trailer, single axle with brakes. Sometimes when I back up the trailer brakes lock up. If I let the truck idle backwards the brakes do not lock up but if give it more gas to go faster the trailer brakes lock up. Any help here. Thanks

Re: Ranger Trailer brakes

What type brakes? Disc or drum?
    sigpic
    Member and Boat Safety Instructor with the Lakeland Sail and Power Squadron;
    www.lakelandsailandpower.info

Comment

Originally posted by Lunker295 View Post
      I have 1996 ranger trailer, single axle with brakes. Sometimes when I back up the trailer brakes lock up. If I let the truck idle backwards the brakes do not lock up but if give it more gas to go faster the trailer brakes lock up. Any help here. Thanks
      Ayuh,... You obviously have Surge brakes,...
      There should be either a manual pin type lock-out, or an electric solenoid lock-out, powered by the backup lights...

Got a picture of the Coupler hitch,..??
      Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

I have disc brakes, electric solinord.

Comment

I have disc brakes, electric solinord thats wired to the reverse/back up lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunker295 View Post
            I have disc brakes, electric solinord thats wired to the reverse/back up lights.
            There's where your problem is. Are you getting power to the solenoid?
            Bob, Orange County NY
            '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri Bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
            Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
            Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

[QUOTE=NYBo;3063739]There's where your problem is. Are you getting power to the solenoid?[/QUOT

What do I need to do to fix it?

Comment

The solenoid does not need power

Comment

So just simply disconnect that wire and it will work ok. Or should it be hooked up to the brake light

Comment

So just simply disconnect that wire and it will work ok. Or should it be hooked up to the brake light

Comment

Sorry, I miss read. Yes, there is power to the solenoid when in reverse. We took the noid apart and it is working. Should I move the noid wire to another power source or what do you think.

Comment

No, it is supposed to be powered when the tow vehicle is in reverse. Put everything back together and apply power to the solenoid. Does the solenoid still move and block the master cylinder from engaging when you push on the nose of the coupler?
                        Bob, Orange County NY
                        '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri Bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
                        Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
                        Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

Working...
                        X