Stolen License Plate

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Stolen License Plate

In NY, the plates are registered every year so if you stole one it would only be valid till December, when the sticker on the plate expired.

I wish you guys had not ben telling all these stores - I hope it doesn't give more people ideas!!!

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Home Cooking, I'm aware of the bureaucracy one must go through to register a boat/trailer without title but to come on to my property and steal a license plate is a violation of my privacy! I was damm lucky about my outboard though and i'm doing everything possible within the law to make sure it does not happen again. In my mind a thief is a thief no matter what they steal.

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Home Cooking, I'm aware of the bureaucracy one must go through to register a boat/trailer without title but to come on to my property and steal a license plate is a violation of my privacy! I was damm lucky about my outboard though and i'm doing everything possible within the law to make sure it does not happen again. In my mind a thief is a thief no matter what they steal.
Absolutely. Thieves are some of the lowest people on earth AFAIC.

Law abiding citizens will go through a lot to do things the right way. Taking the easy way out(especially when it's illegal) shows a lot about someones character.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Attach the license plate with one of these guys:

Attachments

• SecurityScrewHexSocketPinHeadButtonSTS156x156.gif
    SecurityScrewHexSocketPinHeadButtonSTS156x156.gif
    6 KB · Views: 0

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A lot of the stolen plates around here the perps simply carry a portable drill with a large bit in it.

A couple seconds and the head of the bit is drilled off and off they go with the plate.

This is because people have started tack welding the nuts onto bolts and it's too much work to break the bolt so they just drill the heads off instead. Quick and easy.

I hear about this from some friends of mine that work in Milwaukee...in my neighborhood(town of 3200 we don't have much of a problem like this)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I wasn't saying what the guy did was in any way right or justified. I was answering the questions about why someone would do it. Just a possibility. I find it reprehensible, too, and would be just as angry as you are if it had happened to me.

driz

Cadet

In NY, the plates are registered every year so if you stole one it would only be valid till December, when the sticker on the plate expired.

I wish you guys had not ben telling all these stores - I hope it doesn't give more people ideas!!!

Wow, never saw or heard of that happening here in Northern NY at all aside from stealing the trailer boat and all. Even that is rare around here. They are more likely to steal your hitch in a parking lot. About the worst I have ever seen was finding my trucks door open after someone was in there looking for who knows what. BTW I register all my trailers in ME. $40 for 5 years and no inspection required is much more cost effective than paying off NY every year.

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you lucky they just steel your tag, most tag thieves steel one tag then switch it with someone else's tag Then if you don't pay close attention to your tag number you are riding on a stolen tag and the one the thief has hasn't been reported stolen until you notice or get caught

D

DJ

If your lucky, one of those undocumented residents will be found with a trailer tag on car. I had that happen here about 10 years ago. One of my tags disappeared off a work trailer, a week later, after I reported it stolen, it turned up on a mini van with 14 occupants that overturned on a ramp. I guess they couldn't read the "TRAILER" part on the tag.

It's happened ;) They wised up.:mad:

reelfishin

Captain

if you lucky they just steel your tag, most tag thieves steel one tag then switch it with someone else's tag Then if you don't pay close attention to your tag number you are riding on a stolen tag and the one the thief has hasn't been reported stolen until you notice or get caught

I hope you realize that you likely just gave at least a few thieves out there a better idea.