What does tow/haul button do?

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What does tow/haul button do?

I believe one of the bigger benefits is keeping the engine and tranny cooler by not lugging both by running in too high of gear.

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wouldnt you then grind the starter to death, as the starter gear tries to engage a allready spinning flywheel ?

new vehicles have a seperate relay for the starter solenoid, once the engine is running the pcm will not let the relay engage to prevent idiots from trying to start the vehicle while its running, and it also serves as a anti theft it wont let it crank if the vtd is enable. to the op i have an 04 qc 4x4 hemi 1500 as well. mine seems not to hold certain gears to long but feels way more torquey, i think i read on the dodge forum some where that the trans 5-45rfe has a dual stage locking torque converter and it locks half to reduce converter slippage in tow/haul mode, slippage creates heat. havent used mine much yet keep me posted. i did notice it will shift into 5th gear but it holds forth, watching for engine load to decrease.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

On a GM, tow/haul and OD are different. My GMC duramax truck has both. At least on my truck, the OD just doesn't let the transmission shift into overdrive. Tow/haul modifies upshift and downshift points, provides engine braking assistance and keeps the torque converter locked longer. On my truck you can turn on one or the other or both at the same time. I only regularly use the tow/haul mode and I use it all the time when towing any trailer over about 4000 pounds (12000 pound tow rating).

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

new vehicles have a seperate relay for the starter solenoid, once the engine is running the pcm will not let the relay engage to prevent idiots from trying to start the vehicle while its running, and it also serves as a anti theft it wont let it crank if the vtd is enable. to the op i have an 04 qc 4x4 hemi 1500 as well. mine seems not to hold certain gears to long but feels way more torquey, i think i read on the dodge forum some where that the trans 5-45rfe has a dual stage locking torque converter and it locks half to reduce converter slippage in tow/haul mode, slippage creates heat. havent used mine much yet keep me posted. i did notice it will shift into 5th gear but it holds forth, watching for engine load to decrease.

Huh, Really, No chit? Wow I learned something today, Thnks for the explaination:D

bobkyle2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Exactly the same on the Hemi's.

also a little side note: If you ever want to over-ride the speed limiter on the Dodge Hemi p/u, hold the key in the start position (after the car is already running) and you'll here a "ding" in a few seconds. The speed limiter is then defeated.

:eek: i wonder if the 08 fords are like this... i would like that option sometimes

cturboaddict

Petty Officer 1st Class

It turns on the fog lights!!!

Sorry couldnt help myself.

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an 07 dodge with the 5.9 Cummins...I always use the tow/haul button and like someone mentioned about the GM's i as well have a O/D off button..two totally diff. things. My opinion...I'd rather chance burning just a lil extra fuel than be lugging a motor and slipping the tranny...thats one of the hardest things on an engine and tranny. In reality typically you'll burn more fuel in a higher gear lugging it than in a lower gear at higher RPM'S. These newer small block engines such as the hemi's are made to run higer RPM's.

But it's just my .02...like most posts on here sure people will try to discredit this.

Or just do what I did. Buy a real truck...one that doesn't have spark plugs :D

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I used to think I had a 6-speed transmission, because I counted the times the engine changed rpms and it sounded like 6 gears.

Then I found it was that locking converter kicking in at the end that sounded like another over-overdrive gear kicking in.

I will try that speed override (even though I only got that fast once!). If I hear the starter kick in I will of course let off.

One time I was trying to pass someone who decided to speed up and jerk around with me. It was getting hairy, and I was at a point of no letting off, and the truck maxed out at 110 and just stopped pulling. Around 4000 rpms or so, if I remember correctly. YES, STUPID, I agree. Just got caught up in the moment....

Anyway, it would be nice if the truck does what I tell it to, and not have a safety feature kick in when I least need it to. And seriously, when is 110 mph safe? Why not 130? May as well max out at 75, since it is illegal to go faster than that.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I LOL'd. My 2000 Buick Regal cut out at 108. Seriously, why 108? When I hit it the first time I though I'd dropped the tranny or something! Oh how I miss that 3800.

QC

Supreme Mariner

In reality typically you'll burn more fuel in a higher gear lugging it than in a lower gear at higher RPM'S.
Actually this is not true of either diesel or Otto (spark plugs and a throttle) cycle engines. Not the place or thread to discuss, but this is almost the entire reason that you have seen cruise RPM drop and drop and drop, as well as the switch to six speed tranny's and OD in everything. We are spec'ing new heavy duty diesels today that can be lugged down to 1000 RPM, and we recommend it.

These newer small block engines such as the hemi's are made to run higer RPM's.
Also not true. They can run high RPM all day long for sure, but lower speeds (RPM), and wider throttle openings (lug) are what most engines are being designed for unless you are Ferrari and some other limited exceptions . . .

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

On My Dodge Ram I have a 3.55 rear positraction and 17 inch tire's .I just had the rear replaced two weeks ago. Seems there's a bearing that came loose and put metal shavings in the fluids. I spoke with some of my none trailer towing buddies and they have had the same problem. So if you hear something that sounds like your brakes are grabbing it's the rear that's shot.Chrysler fixed in under there warrenty. Other wise it would have cost around $1278.00 to fix. The dealer has been repairing about four a day for quite a long time now.

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Silver, thanks for the heads up on the rear. I have the posi and 20" tires, and no issues so far other than a leaky pinion seal (replaced under warranty). I swap the fluids every 25k miles, and use the posi additive.

The only noise I have is bad wearing tires. I bought the stock tires 3 times now as i wear them out. goodyears. This last set were crap. I knew something was up when they installed them with lead balance weights 25% around the rim!!! Like from noon to 3-o'clock, then a couple other chunks on there.

Then around 10k miles into these new tires, they started to pull like alignment was out. Took in for alignment and guy said align was perfect, but tires were wearing in an odd way making it pull. So he swapped them around and I tried to get them back where they belong. Too late. They porcupined up and now make a horrible road roar when I drive. And getting worse.

i rotate forward-backward only, to prevent porcupining.

These tires are shot after 15k miles, and I am still on them around 30k later, and they are driving me crazy with all the noise. It used to go away with each rotation for a few thousand miles, but this time it won't quiet up and they are wearing horribly...:(

Next tires will be a better name brand. Yokohamas or something like that.

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually this is not true of either diesel or Otto (spark plugs and a throttle) cycle engines. Not the place or thread to discuss, but this is almost the entire reason that you have seen cruise RPM drop and drop and drop, as well as the switch to six speed tranny's and OD in everything. We are spec'ing new heavy duty diesels today that can be lugged down to 1000 RPM, and we recommend it.

Also not true. They can run high RPM all day long for sure, but lower speeds (RPM), and wider throttle openings (lug) are what most engines are being designed for unless you are Ferrari and some other limited exceptions . . .

well everyone has their own opinions...knew someone would discredit what I say...Diesels yes do produce more torque at low rpm but new gas engines are designed to run higher rpms...its where thier torque is produced...you produce so much more heat at lower rpms...but whatever you think could care less if you believe me or not...just giving everyone else the ture facts.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

:eek: i wonder if the 08 fords are like this... i would like that option sometimes

if you haven't been there go to
f150online.com and i bet they could answer that question for you. we have a couple techs on the site.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

BFGoodrich All Terrain ko's got 60,000 miles out of them and that was even with a teen driver and hauling and pulling a lot of trailers.
just put another set on my truck and a set on my Jeep. they're nicely priced and wear forever. great in rain/snow/mud/dirt whatever.
had them on my two wheel drive truck as well and loved them. not noisy, but you do get a very slight hum. i would never put a set of stockers on my truck

QC

Supreme Mariner

.but whatever you think could care less if you believe me or not...just giving everyone else the ture facts.
I was respectful . . .

What do you do for a living? I've done nothing but engine application work for my entire career . . . 32 years and counting :) Tuesday I worked with 6 reps from Navistar on spec'ing trucks for a new customer. They asked for my opinon. Next week I will be at their headquarters meeting with the Vice President of Advanced Technology at the Engine Division. Two weeks ago I spent two days with the Chief Engineer of their Big Bore engine platform. My technical mentor is a prior President of SAE and was VP of Engine Development at Cummins. Other than that I'm fairly green at all this mumbo jumbo . . .

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

Silver, thanks for the heads up on the rear. I have the posi and 20" tires, and no issues so far other than a leaky pinion seal (replaced under warranty). I swap the fluids every 25k miles, and use the posi additive.

The only noise I have is bad wearing tires. I bought the stock tires 3 times now as i wear them out. goodyears. This last set were crap. I knew something was up when they installed them with lead balance weights 25% around the rim!!! Like from noon to 3-o'clock, then a couple other chunks on there.

Then around 10k miles into these new tires, they started to pull like alignment was out. Took in for alignment and guy said align was perfect, but tires were wearing in an odd way making it pull. So he swapped them around and I tried to get them back where they belong. Too late. They porcupined up and now make a horrible road roar when I drive. And getting worse.

i rotate forward-backward only, to prevent porcupining.

These tires are shot after 15k miles, and I am still on them around 30k later, and they are driving me crazy with all the noise. It used to go away with each rotation for a few thousand miles, but this time it won't quiet up and they are wearing horribly...:(

hey just an fyi the manufacture wants the diff fluid replace every 12k if you have a posi. and make sure u add that additive. i took out my trac lok due to it had blown up previously. replaced with a regular diff. also if you have a noise in the rear, check your e-brake shoes, before assuming its the rear end, my lining came off the frame, and were dragging on the drum/rotor and made a weird noise. i thought it was the rear but it needed brakes thats when i found it.

Todd157k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wouldnt you then grind the starter to death, as the starter gear tries to engage a allready spinning flywheel ?

No. It doesn't engage the started like a regular starter system.

edit: oops.. just noticed that it had been answered. I'll go back to sleep now. :cool:

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

No. It doesn't engage the started like a regular starter system.

edit: oops.. just noticed that it had been answered. I'll go back to sleep now. :cool:

Thanks tho ! I would rather have my question answered twice then not at all :)

LadyFish

Admiral

I'm glad to see this thread because this is a question that haunts me as well.

I drive a F350 Super Duty King Ranch. The tow capacity is about 21,000 GVW and I tow a light (7-8,000 pound travel trailer). The last time out, I didn't use the tow/haul until I got into a hilly area which was a long away from here.

Maybe I'm wrong but my thinking was that I'm a little overpowered so it shouldn't matter. Does it?