• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does tow/haul button do?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does tow/haul button do?

I know it holds shift points to a little higher rpm, but what does it do for passing, fuel economy, etc.?

I assume it just sucks more gas by keeping rpms up keeping the engine in a more responsive torque range.

Any benefit to driving with it on?

04 Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi 5-speed auto.
    2003 Glastron GX 185, with VolvoPenta 4.3GL, currently running Stilleto Baypro III 14.25X21 at 46 mph and 4400 rpms. Other props were 3-blade aluminum 14.3X23 at 43 mph and 4400rpm, and 14.3X21 at 49mph at 4800 rpms.

Re: What does tow/haul button do?

Keeps it in a lower gear longer before upshifting and it keeps it out of 5th gear on the 45rfe trannys.
    1990 Stardust
    -Dual Chevy 305's with Volvo DP's

Comment

It also downshifts earlier and can seemingly contradictorily hold a gear in lockup under a hard pull before downshifting longer too. Should ultimately reduce "hunting" between gears as well.
      In God we trust. All others show us your data.

Comment

So i should definitely have it off when cruising on flat freeways. I like the better fuel economy of 5th gear.

So would it be beneficial for short hauls through town with lots of stop and go, or should i just leave it off?

Hauling 18.5' glastron on steel trailer.
        2003 Glastron GX 185, with VolvoPenta 4.3GL, currently running Stilleto Baypro III 14.25X21 at 46 mph and 4400 rpms. Other props were 3-blade aluminum 14.3X23 at 43 mph and 4400rpm, and 14.3X21 at 49mph at 4800 rpms.

Comment

I believe it's the same as "overdrive off" on my Ford. It keeps the transmission from shifting excessively and is good when towing is what I've been told, as mentioned.
          sigpic
          '79 16' Starcraft SuperSport
          12' AeroCraft '55 Johnson 5.5hp
          Starcraft brochures thread

Comment

Not sure about the mopars, but the Chevys increase the line pressure to the clutches also.
            Jezzebelle-1999 Pursuit 2870 w/ Twin Yamaha 225's
            Guppie-1996 Allison Sea Max 17 w/ Mariner 75

Comment

It' is basically what was stated above. It is an electronic switch that allowes the tranny to shift at a higher rpm, or a shift point. It also keeps the tranny from "hunting gears" as this will heat up your tranny in a hurry even with a cooler, this puts alot of strain on the transmission. As far as going down the highway with it off, well that depends on the load, if your carrying a light boat or just about maxing out the trucks towing capacities. If your on the heavier side i would leave it on, and the computer will find the most comfortable gear, and it will eventually find the 5th, or top overdrive gear, if there isn't too much strain on the engine and tranny. That only applys to the tow/haul button, not the o/d off.
              sigpic
              2000 Starcraft 2010
              350 Mag/Bravo 1

Comment

Originally posted by scooper77515 View Post
                I know it holds shift points to a little higher rpm, but what does it do for passing, fuel economy, etc.?

I assume it just sucks more gas by keeping rpms up keeping the engine in a more responsive torque range.

Any benefit to driving with it on?

04 Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi 5-speed auto.
                I have a Quad Cab with your set up. I use it all the time when towing. I pull a 24 ft pontoon boat with Tandem wheel. .It's a must use thing. Mostly it keeps the truck out of over drive so you don't tare up the transmission. I get around 13.5 towing with it on. I keep it around 55 to 60 most of the time except when passing.Some times I use it in the city with out towing anything and my mileage is better then when not using it.

Comment

Originally posted by EMC 1810SS View Post
                  Not sure about the mopars, but the Chevys increase the line pressure to the clutches also.

That makes sense; when I leave mine on without a trailer it shifts as though it has a shift-kit installed. Really slams into second and third. Also holds the shift for longer periods. Not sure about the fuel economy but I only use it when I pull heavy stuff.

Comment

Not the same as Ford's overdrive off. That blocks overdrive, GM changes all shift parameters.
                    In God we trust. All others show us your data.

Comment

GM's web site says you void the transmission warranty if you tow with it off.

Comment

Originally posted by QC View Post
                        Not the same as Ford's overdrive off. That blocks overdrive, GM changes all shift parameters.
                        I knew someone would let me know I was wrong on this post

I'm curious now, I must be in overdrive the majority of the time I'm towing because when I turn OD off, my RPM's immedietely drop or increase depending on the speed, and while towing it seems to keep the shifting to a minimum while going up or down hills.
                        sigpic
                        '79 16' Starcraft SuperSport
                        12' AeroCraft '55 Johnson 5.5hp
                        Starcraft brochures thread

Comment

In my 09 Ram quad with the 4.7 and 5 speed tranny mine not only raises the shift rpm's but it also downshifts while going down hills to keep from having to ride the brakes. Also keeps the engine from straining in a gear it has no business being in while towing.

On a sidenote, how would GM know the tranny wasn't in tow/haul while towing?

Comment

Originally posted by '96 Charger View Post
                            In my 09 Ram quad with the 4.7 and 5 speed tranny mine not only raises the shift rpm's but it also downshifts while going down hills to keep from having to ride the brakes. Also keeps the engine from straining in a gear it has no business being in while towing.
                            Exactly the same on the Hemi's.

also a little side note: If you ever want to over-ride the speed limiter on the Dodge Hemi p/u, hold the key in the start position (after the car is already running) and you'll here a "ding" in a few seconds. The speed limiter is then defeated.
                            Monterey 225 SCR 572 DP

Comment

The gubbener has it at 105. That's plenty fast

Comment

Working...
                              X