wheel fell off while towing, what do I do??

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey there, Just got this boat and yesterday while getting it home from my storage lot after my first time using it. While almost home a wheel and hub fell off, the inner bearing looks good, while the outer bearing is no longer existant, and there is a pretty bad gas in the spindle, not deep enough to effect strenght at all, but definitly there. My question is what do I do about this, there is this stuff I have called locktite liquid metal miata owners use to repair broken keyways on crankshafts, can I use this to fill in the score then put on new bearings? I've never replaced bearings before

Vanover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: wheel fell off while towing, what do I do??

How much for a spindle?

rwidman

Lieutenant

I don't think you can repair a spindle with any sort of liquid metal. If it's damaged wher the bearing rides, it must be replaced.

I suggest you do some Internet research on trailer bearing replacement. You will find articles with instructions and photos.

Is the trailer home or sitting by the side of the road? Here is something that can get your trailer home:

http://airtighthubs.com/products-e-axle.php

EAXLESMALL.jpg

Here is an article that might get you started:

http://origin-videos.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=1245997&sectionid=318

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You will be pleased to know that trailer parts are pretty cheap. Heck you can get a whole new 3500lb axle complete with new hubs for $130 from Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, etc etc. It's definitely not worth trying to repair most trailer running gear parts.

You have just experienced the worst case scenario of what can happen if you don't maintain your bearings. Although I have done the same thing just trying to get a new-to-me rig home. My buddy and I had to take the front two wheels off a dual axle trailer in order to make it home due to a hub totally blowing out just like yours did.

Vanover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You got real lucky. Get a loto ticket.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I agree, your very lucky, I have seen this happen and cause far worse things happen to the tow vehicle as well as the occupants of the tow vehicle.

When I worked in the RV business and this type of situation happened, we would not repair the spindle, we always replaced the axle that way any unseen damage was taken care of.

Of course it depends on where the boat and trailer are sitting, if at home, jack it up and get a new axle with hubs for it, replace and have the piece of mind, if sitting on the side of the road, it is probably best to have a roll back pick it up and take it home for you and then get a new axle and replace it. Besides any surface damage to the spindle, I would be pretty sure that it has bent the spindle as well, even if not apparent...

Unless you are lucky and it has a bolt on spindle, welding a new spindle on, takes some skill as well as being able to make sure it is straight, they use jigs in a factory to ensure straightness...

In the future, when you buy a trailer or anything on the trailer, it is prudent to jack it up, and check the bearings before attempting to take it home, I do this on boats, travel trailer, utility trailers, etc. It really does not take that long and it sure can save you a world of heat ache..

Again, glad your okay, and you just have to deal with a wheel falling off.

Dave

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Hey there, Just got this boat and yesterday while getting it home from my storage lot after my first time using it. While almost home a wheel and hub fell off, the inner bearing looks good, while the outer bearing is no longer existant, and there is a pretty bad gas in the spindle, not deep enough to effect strenght at all, but definitly there. My question is what do I do about this, there is this stuff I have called locktite liquid metal miata owners use to repair broken keyways on crankshafts, can I use this to fill in the score then put on new bearings? I've never replaced bearings before
If the spindle is not bent, the spindle nut threads are good or can be filed so that the nut will thread back on and the inner seal suface is not buggered up...................................
A gouge or two on the other surfaces of the spindle are nothing to worry about.
The bearings are not running on the spindle, the inner races of the bearings are on the spndle. You might have to file the gouge if it is where the bearing resides in order to get the bearings to go onto the spindle.

That is what I would do. Not necessarily what you should do.

89cruisers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright thanks a million for the advice guys, after reading thru this I went to a local trailer shop, and they can give me an axle for around $180, plus $70 for new brakes, just gotta take the axle off for them to match it up. I only had about 2 miles to go till I was home when a lady honked her horn and said I was losing a wheel, it was when I pulled into a hotel parking lot that the wheel then busted off, somehow the other dry rotted tire held up for the 2 miles until I was home, my dad was supprised that the other tire didnt blow from the added weight and cause the boat to tip over. Will make sure to check all the bearings next time I buy any sort of trailer

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

if the tires are dry rotted then you might want to get new tires as well.