Attwood Trailer actuator / coupler not releasing ball w/pics

dazk14

Ensign
The lever lock on the attached trailer is very flaky when trying to unlock the ball when removing - the locking tang won't release without without a pia of tools and coodination.

Going on I pull back on locking tang while gently lifting lever. This type of style usually auto locks when dropped on ball.

If you're experienced with trailers you'll recognize the style. I think there's a repair kit but I've only seen it for a "6000 or 8000". Will that work?

Any simple fixes?

Trailer actuator 003.jpg

Trailer actuator 004.jpg

Trailer actuator 008.JPG

Trailer actuator 014.JPG

Trailer actuator 018.JPG

rwidman

Lieutenant
Re: Attwood Trailer actuator / coupler not releasing ball w/pics

Have you considered just replacing the actuator? That one looks a little rough.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Contact Attwood, there is something worn out in your coupler, they normally have the correct parts to repair most of the stuff they have sold in the last 50 years. Attwood is a good company to deal with, unfortunately many of their dealers don't always have all the parts available for the multitude of products they have sold over the years. I would suspect it is one of the springs that is broken, we used to service these couplers when I was in the RV business. As far as how the couplers looks, I have seen them look far worse and still operate perfectly, so rebuilding it is worth the trouble.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/contact-us

dazk14

Ensign

Thanks MT!

Do you recall if I can leave it bolted on and repair it in place?

Should I send them the pics to identify the model or do a little more homework?

Thanks,
Mike in CT

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

On these type of couplers, we always took them off and rebuilt them on the bench. What is the model number on the top if you can still read it? As I said, I have rebuilt them, but don't remember all of the various model numbers, I have slept and probably partaken of to much libation in the last 15 years! :D

But it would not hurt to send these same pictures to Attwood..

In looking at the pictures again, I am thinking that perhaps, you might just have enough rust in there that is not allowing the dogs to release correctly, you might take is apart and do some wire brushing and a bit of lubrication and it might work properly again, but the best would be to rebuild it..

Let me know how it turns out.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... With those danm things ya gotta Hold the tab Up when hookin' or unhookin'....

On My trailer, I pulled it,+ tossed it... Bolted on a Dico, spin-lock screw down coupler...