Non Galvanized Trailer in Salt Water.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I got my boat this year and it came with a Painted non-galvanized trailer. Next year I plan to not keep the boat at the lake and trailering it around, including the bay here which is salt water. I know the non-galvanized trailer isn't the one that I should of gotten but the dealer didn't have a galvanized trailer when I bought it so couldn't do anything about it. I know salt water is really bad for the trailer. I plan on rinsing it off as soon as I can after dunking. What other precautions should I do or for those of you that are in the same situation what do you do?

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Non Galvanized Trailer in Salt Water.

The bad thing is salt water (any water) gets in places you cant reach with a hose, not saying you shouldn't rinse, just realize limitations. If you have to do on rare occasions I would dunk it in fresh as soon as possible to get water in the those places. Better option would be to sell it because it wont last long once it gets dunked in salt water on reg basis.

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes that trailer will not last long at all. keep a good look out at all your bolts an the supports on bunks, the thin parts will be the first too go.Also the cross members, are they c- channel or box tube, if they are box tube they can rust out from the inside and you might not see how bad it is till its too late. There is no good way too wash off the salt, a good dunk in a freshwater lake as mention is about the only thing that might help some but salt and iron do not mix

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

If it is a float on trailer that is regularly dunked, it will not last with traditional coatings, nuts and bolts, etc. My trailer is original to the boat and is a painted trailer, but it is not a float on trailer and the boat is winched on without the trailer getting dunked. It was used in saltwater for 30 years. BUT, all of the nuts and bolts and most fittings are stainless, and the trailer was sandblasted and coated with an ugly black asphalt based coating that is hard as a rock, so the trailer is not exactly standard issue.
http://www.roystonlab.com/royston_pdf/Roskote_201_Coal_Tar_Epoxy_Coating.pdf

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sell it and get a galvanized trailer as soon as possible.
My 2 cents

starcraftkid

Petty Officer 1st Class

Selling now before it's too far gone to be worth anything. You will get a season, maybe two at best before it's too far gone to be safe.
If not, find a river where you can launch in freshwater and drive the boat to the bay. You will most likely find it's cheaper to just get a galvanized trailer though.

rwidman

Lieutenant

I'm going with the others. Sell the trailer or trade it in for a galvanized or aluminum trailer. Before you use it in salt water.

I'm not saying just one or two years, but it's going to rust in places you can't rinse and after a few years it will be unsafe and pretty much worthless.

rwidman

Lieutenant

........... the dealer didn't have a galvanized trailer when I bought it so couldn't do anything about it. .................

It's too late now, but I'll bet if you had told the dealer "I'll buy it only if you provide a galvanized (or aluminum) trailer", he would have found one in a day or so.

robert graham

Admiral

If you've already dunked your trailer in saltwater then the corrosion has already started, but on the non-galvanized parts of my trailer like the leaf springs, shackle bolts, wheel lug bolts,hubs,etc., I spray them with white lithium grease to form a protective film over them. I also spray my tilt and trim motor and pump with the same white grease to protect from salt. The white grease sorta sets up there and stays on real well.....Seems to help some. Good Luck!

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you've already dunked your trailer in saltwater then the corrosion has already started, but on the non-galvanized parts of my trailer like the leaf springs, shackle bolts, wheel lug bolts,hubs,etc., I spray them with white lithium grease to form a protective film over them. I also spray my tilt and trim motor and pump with the same white grease to protect from salt. The white grease sorta sets up there and stays on real well.....Seems to help some. Good Luck!

Haven't dunked in salt water yes. Will try that. I only plan on keeping the boat and trailer for 2 years. Then it off to another new boat. :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I am going to differ. I have a painted trailer that I dunk in saltwater. It is not closed tubing like the one in the other link so salt water does not get trapped inside the rails. Its a matter of keeping up on maintaining the trailer. If rust starts, you need to take care of it before it gets any worse.

rwidman

Lieutenant

I am going to differ. I have a painted trailer that I dunk in saltwater. It is not closed tubing like the one in the other link so salt water does not get trapped inside the rails. Its a matter of keeping up on maintaining the trailer. If rust starts, you need to take care of it before it gets any worse.

Unless it's welded together, every place where one piece is bolted or clamped to another piece will trap salt water. Any paint defect or damage will begin to rust. Your axle is probably a metal tube that's not galvanized. Rust can begin on the inside where you cannot see it.

My local ramp is in salt water and I see some painted trailers. Most look pretty shabby, some have parts hanging by one bolt.

Your painted trailer won't fall apart overnight, but it will require more maintenance and it's life will be shorter.

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Read this and see for yourself. This trailer was 3 years old when it happened...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=367302&highlight=trailer+worth

Ouch man. Sorry to hear that. That stinks.

I decided to get a Galvanized trailer for my boat. Called the dealer and they are going to get me a new galvanized trailer for my boat and sell my trailer. I will be upside down about 200-300 bucks but in the end I think that is a wise investment.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Ouch man. Sorry to hear that. That stinks.

I decided to get a Galvanized trailer for my boat. Called the dealer and they are going to get me a new galvanized trailer for my boat and sell my trailer. I will be upside down about 200-300 bucks but in the end I think that is a wise investment.

Yes, a wise investment. You won't be sorry.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Your painted trailer won't fall apart overnight, but it will require more maintenance and it's life will be shorter.

bruceb58 said:
If rust starts, you need to take care of it before it gets any worse.

^^^Which is exactly what he said he does.

You do NOT have to have the last word in every thread you respond to.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Your axle is probably a metal tube that's not galvanized.
A galvanized axle tube won't be galvanized on the inside. That's the problem with galvanized tube trailers too. Their rust problems are just as bad as a non galvanized trailer.

starcraftkid

Petty Officer 1st Class

A galvanized axle tube won't be galvanized on the inside. That's the problem with galvanized tube trailers too. Their rust problems are just as bad as a non galvanized trailer.

While this maybe true of some axles, it's not often the case with trailers. I've watched several trailer building operations first hand, most all galvanize all assemblies in one of two ways, either it's a plating process, or a dipping process. In both instances, the tubing if 'flooded' in the galvanizing bath. Either in a hot dip into zinc, or by plating in a submerged bath. All exposed surfaces are galvanized.

Most trailer frames have all hole predrilled prior to the galvanizing process, this ensures no exposed steel.

The problem with painted trailers is that the inside of the tubing has no protection at all, there's just no way to get in there to clean and protect that metal.

The only way for a section of galvanized trailer tubing not to be coated inside would be if the part was sealed up on both ends prior to galvanizing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

On a welded tubing trailer, the trailer is galvanized after the entire trailer is welded together. Please explain how the welding bath is going to get into and coat the entire tube? The holes are always small little drain holes on the bottom of the tubing and there is no way to get all the air out of the tube in the dipping process.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that a galvanized trailer is the best way to go, just get a C channel trailer or the tube trailer where the tubing elements are completely open at each end.