Non Galvanized Trailer in Salt Water.

rwidman

Lieutenant
Re: Non Galvanized Trailer in Salt Water.

While this maybe true of some axles, it's not often the case with trailers. I've watched several trailer building operations first hand, most all galvanize all assemblies in one of two ways, either it's a plating process, or a dipping process. In both instances, the tubing if 'flooded' in the galvanizing bath. Either in a hot dip into zinc, or by plating in a submerged bath. All exposed surfaces are galvanized.

Most trailer frames have all hole predrilled prior to the galvanizing process, this ensures no exposed steel.

The problem with painted trailers is that the inside of the tubing has no protection at all, there's just no way to get in there to clean and protect that metal.

The only way for a section of galvanized trailer tubing not to be coated inside would be if the part was sealed up on both ends prior to galvanizing.

Correct information here. :)

rwidman

Lieutenant

A galvanized axle tube won't be galvanized on the inside. That's the problem with galvanized tube trailers too. Their rust problems are just as bad as a non galvanized trailer.

If "Their rust problems are just as bad as a non galvanized trailer.", there wouldn't be any advantage to paying extra for a galvanized trailer, would there?

Galvanization is a proven and well accepted technique to protect steel from corrosion.

And as pointed out by starcraftkid, the metal parts are dipped in molten zinc after they have been machined and all surfaces, inside and out, are protected.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If "Their rust problems are just as bad as a non galvanized trailer.", there wouldn't be any advantage to paying extra for a galvanized trailer, would there?
Galvanized...closed....tubes! with the small drain holes the inside of the tubes can NOT get properly galvanized because of air pockets. If the tubes actually have large enough holes that the solution can get inside then they are fine but that is not what I have seen. All other types of trailers...C channel...open tubes...are better galvanized!

My head hurts!

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

If you've already dunked your trailer in saltwater then the corrosion has already started, but on the non-galvanized parts of my trailer like the leaf springs, shackle bolts, wheel lug bolts,hubs,etc., I spray them with white lithium grease to form a protective film over them. I also spray my tilt and trim motor and pump with the same white grease to protect from salt. The white grease sorta sets up there and stays on real well.....Seems to help some. Good Luck!

You might also consider motorcycle chain oil in a aresol can. I use Champion brand.
It is really sticky stuff (to stay on the whirrling chain) and looks like regular motor oil.
I find it stays on longer and is cheaper too.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

even galvanized tubes will rust out from the inside. But if yuo are just using it a few times a year, once you have galvanized, you will be OK.
OPen tubes drain but not that well. I run the hose through them.
Experienced salt water boaters don't dunk trailers often, even if they are aluiminum or galvanized. Rollers and power winches do the trick. For a small boat, my axle stays dry. I have to sink my trailer for my larger boat but that is only 4-5 times a year.
I recently replaced my rear cross-member (which goes underwater even when the axle is dry) b/c it rusted out from the inside. But it took 20 years and cost $150 to replace. I don't consider that a problem.

So get a roller trailer and power winch if you are replacing the trailer anyway.

Good advice on the white lithuim grease on everything.

The salt will get your lights, wires, licence plate bracket, axle, springs, shackles and cable. The salt air is almost as bad as the water. But it's worth it!

rwidman

Lieutenant

Experienced salt water boaters don't dunk trailers often, even if they are aluiminum or galvanized.

That's not at all true. Every trailer at my local ramp goes into the water. It's just not possible to get anything but a very small boat on or off a trailer without putting the trailer in the water.

When I had my trailer boat, the trailer went into the water to where the tops of the fenders were at the water surface. That was the point where the boat would go on and off easily.

Boat trailers are designed and constructed to enter the water. Galvanized or aluminum trailers for salt or brackish water, those or painted trailers for fresh water.

If they were not intended to be partially submersed, there would be no market for bearing protectors or waterproof lights.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if the lights really were waterproof there would be no market after they sold the first sets.
Seriously, though, like everything in boating, it's all about circumstances and degree. As I said, I have one rig I have to dunk due to the size of the boat (21'). So when I have to dunk it, I move quick! But if I launched often, I'd get a power winch and stay dry.
I have lived through 50 years of not dunking for 13', 16', 17' and 19' boats, and so have my trailers. I have cranked some winches in my day--not just the last 2 feet, the whole ride.
Used to be, most trailers used in salt water were roller trailers, hinged and often with power winches. Now everything is sold as a "drive on" but that doesn't mean it's a good idea (unless you are in trailer sales and repair). Those asking the question need to be aware of the options, and reality beyond sales talk.

So if someone is considering getting a trailer that will last, and will be launching often, then he should get one that doesn't have to be dunked, IF HE CAN. In my opinion, he should not take the salesman's word for it, that the "float on" is fine for salt water. It simply isn't. But it just might be unavoidable, and the eventual repair/replacement merely a cost of boating.

And I'm not questioning your statement that "Every trailer at my local ramp goes into the water." I see it being done more and more myself, especially as boaters move to bigger boats these days.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

While this maybe true of some axles, it's not often the case with trailers. I've watched several trailer building operations first hand, most all galvanize all assemblies in one of two ways, either it's a plating process, or a dipping process. In both instances, the tubing if 'flooded' in the galvanizing bath. Either in a hot dip into zinc, or by plating in a submerged bath. All exposed surfaces are galvanized.

Most trailer frames have all hole predrilled prior to the galvanizing process, this ensures no exposed steel.

The problem with painted trailers is that the inside of the tubing has no protection at all, there's just no way to get in there to clean and protect that metal.

The only way for a section of galvanized trailer tubing not to be coated inside would be if the part was sealed up on both ends prior to galvanizing.

I have a galvanized 04 trailer and I had to replaced the crossbeams this summer. When I go out on the intercoastal salt water we do it on Saturday, then run it up the St Johns River fresh water on Sunday. I maybe put it in salt water once a month, and I also maintain the crap out of everything I own. My frame is I-beam, so no rust there, but you have to watch any tubed steel, whether its galvanized or not. I only paid $350 for the trailer when my steel one split down the middle, so an investment of another $550 wasnt terrible, but it had rusted bad in the middle of both crossbeams. I wish I had taken pictures to show you.

I was in dire straights when I bought it, because it I needed it quick, but had I had some time and more cash I would not have hesitated to buy an aluminum trailer. Next time I will.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You might also consider motorcycle chain oil in a aresol can. I use Champion brand.
It is really sticky stuff (to stay on the whirrling chain) and looks like regular motor oil.
I find it stays on longer and is cheaper too.

The champion motorcycle chain oil is white lithium grease in a aerosol can. I have 2 cans in my garage right now.

I agree with what others are saying. Galv trailers all the way for salt water. If you do use the painted trailer for the salt, take it and dunk it in the lake or river after each use. This will help prolong the life of it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My painted trailer is 12 years old and gets dunked in salt water. I repainted it after 6 years because I thought the factory paint wasn't that great. I wash it with a power washer after every use. I obviously don't get all the salt of but I get a lot of it off. When I get areas with rust I grind or wire brush off the rust and repaint that area.

I definitely have more work maintaining it than a galvanized trailer for sure but it isn't impossible either to keep a painted trailer in good shape even if it is used in salt.

reelfishin

Captain

Galvanized...closed....tubes! with the small drain holes the inside of the tubes can NOT get properly galvanized because of air pockets. If the tubes actually have large enough holes that the solution can get inside then they are fine but that is not what I have seen. All other types of trailers...C channel...open tubes...are better galvanized!

My head hurts!

Pretty much all of the trailers I own or have owned have had open tubes. I've yet to run across a welded one piece frame trailer on which tubing ends were sealed up and unable to be galvanized. All are built with several pre-bent, galvanized pieces which are electroplate galvanized in a tank both inside and out. The axle tubes on the newer models have hose flush attachments to flush out the axle tube, which also has fairly large drain holes in it.
Even on the older trailers, with regular saltwater use, I've never had a failure of an axle tube.
The only rust I've had to deal with is on those with curved or drop cross members which tend to rust at the lowest point. When this happens, it's simply a matter of a new bolt in cross member for about $90. I've never had a main frame tube rust, nor a tongue tube on any of the Load Rite or Shore Land'r trailers. I have had a few tilt trailers rust out where the bolt goes through the tongue.

As for using a painted trailer in the saltwater, your likely to regret it unless you spend a lot of time cleaning and keeping after rust. Chances are it won't last beyond the second season even with diligent care.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My painted trailer is 12 years old and gets dunked in salt water. I repainted it after 6 years because I thought the factory paint wasn't that great. I wash it with a power washer after every use. I obviously don't get all the salt of but I get a lot of it off. When I get areas with rust I grind or wire brush off the rust and repaint that area.

I definitely have more work maintaining it than a galvanized trailer for sure but it isn't impossible either to keep a painted trailer in good shape even if it is used in salt.

My painted trailer looked like brand new when the cross beams broke in half from rust from the inside out. Granted, I had just gotten it and have no idea what the previous owner did to it, but until it broke I had no idea it was rusted. The galvanized one I have now allready had some rust on it when I got it, but the price was right. New cross beams are cheap, but I would recommend and I-beam frame, so there is no chance of them rotting from the inside out. If they made I-beam crossbeams, I would have put them in when I got them replaced.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

As for using a painted trailer in the saltwater, your likely to regret it unless you spend a lot of time cleaning and keeping after rust. Chances are it won't last beyond the second season even with diligent care.
12 years and counting!

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

if the lights really were waterproof there would be no market after they sold the first sets.
Seriously, though, like everything in boating, it's all about circumstances and degree. As I said, I have one rig I have to dunk due to the size of the boat (21'). So when I have to dunk it, I move quick! But if I launched often, I'd get a power winch and stay dry.
I have lived through 50 years of not dunking for 13', 16', 17' and 19' boats, and so have my trailers. I have cranked some winches in my day--not just the last 2 feet, the whole ride.
Used to be, most trailers used in salt water were roller trailers, hinged and often with power winches. Now everything is sold as a "drive on" but that doesn't mean it's a good idea (unless you are in trailer sales and repair). Those asking the question need to be aware of the options, and reality beyond sales talk.

So if someone is considering getting a trailer that will last, and will be launching often, then he should get one that doesn't have to be dunked, IF HE CAN. In my opinion, he should not take the salesman's word for it, that the "float on" is fine for salt water. It simply isn't. But it just might be unavoidable, and the eventual repair/replacement merely a cost of boating.

And I'm not questioning your statement that "Every trailer at my local ramp goes into the water." I see it being done more and more myself, especially as boaters move to bigger boats these days.

So you are the guy everyone is B-ing @ on the busy weekends???? Just messing with you.... I've personally never seen someone load with a power winch, let alone load while their axle is out of the water!! I have seen people launch their boats unhitched on a roller trailer and it starts to roll off too early, makes quite a mess. Talk about a problem, that will get everyone B-ing!!!! In Florida most of the ramps are pretty busy, no time for cranking the whole way....

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

The champion motorcycle chain oil is white lithium grease in a aerosol can. I have 2 cans in my garage right now.

LOL, so it is, I never read the ingredients!. I think my cans are the old label which merely calls it "multi-purpose spray grease". I see the newer label calls it white lithium.
But the stuff still looks like regular motor oil versus being white.
Go figure.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

LOL, so it is, I never read the ingredients!. I think my cans are the old label which merely calls it "multi-purpose spray grease". I see the newer label calls it white lithium.
But the stuff still looks like regular motor oil versus being white.
Go figure.

Yes the newer cans do say "white lithium grease" and the newer stuff is a little more on the white side. But it is great stuff, I have used it from motorcycle chains, lubing steering cables, and I even use it in my fishing reel's. Works great, I always have a can around.