bow/roller contact question

donaldm

Seaman
I have a concern with bow to roller/stopper contact . . . when i power on I make contact with the roller/stopper then after i pull out the stern drops and the bow goes up so now a have about 2 inches +/_ between the bow and the roller. My big concern is if I leave it that way as I drive down the road the front half of the trailer will flex or bend up and down about an 1 inch or so which tells me sooner or later the front half of the trailer rails are going to crack open or brake off. Some body once said the the boat must be in contact with the roller so the boat and trailer become one unit. I realize that when the stern drops and bow will always go up some. If i pull out of the water enuf to drop the stern then I cant winch the boat forward . . . to much friction. Are my trailer rail flexing concern valid . . . do rails ever brake?

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: bow/roller contact question

I would have to say you are backed in too far. I understand that you get alot of friction if you don't back in that far. You may want to try powering it on as far as you can and then winching it the rest of the way. At least this way you know that your bow is snuggly against the bow stop.

I know I will catch all kinds of heck for this but, power loading is not the best way to load your boat. I causes damage to the ramp.
Just saying.

bassman284

Commander

I would also suggest either get some bunk slick or get a winch with a lower gear ratio.

As to power loading: I know that a number of folks here are religious in their fervor against this practice. I can kind of understand this in coastal waters where most ramps are more or less temporary, consist of sand and are subject to radical water level changes due to tides.

Here in Iowa (and as far as I know Illinois), that vast majority of lakes are man made, have fairly constant water levels and have poured concrete ramps that extend FAR beyond any possibility of blowout from powerloading. In addition it is common here to have the parking docks way too far away from the ramp to make rope loading/unloading practical.

donaldm

Seaman

you said use a lower gear winch which is a good idea i dont know if the eye bolt at the bow is designed to take a heavy load. my boat is a 23 tri hull deck boat made be nuaticstar. thanks