Bow Roller (stupid) Question

cjac2879

Seaman
I had a bow roller with end bells on my trailer, and the roller broke apart. I bought a 3" roller at the marina to replace it, but it wouldnt fit (too big)... Went back to the marina, tape measure in hand, and noticed the one I took off was 2 7/8" and fit perfectly... SO i bought a different one which measured 2 1/2" (but said 3"), and filled in the gaps with washers, so it works, but bugs me because this isnt right.

Should a typical 3" roller fit between my forks, and should I just force it in between them, could the old roller (black rubber) shrink over time (the trailer is 22 yrs old).

Thanks

rwidman

Lieutenant
Re: Bow Roller (stupid) Question

I had a bow roller with end bells on my trailer, and the roller broke apart. I bought a 3" roller at the marina to replace it, but it wouldnt fit (too big)... Went back to the marina, tape measure in hand, and noticed the one I took off was 2 7/8" and fit perfectly... SO i bought a different one which measured 2 1/2" (but said 3"), and filled in the gaps with washers, so it works, but bugs me because this isnt right.

Should a typical 3" roller fit between my forks, and should I just force it in between them, could the old roller (black rubber) shrink over time (the trailer is 22 yrs old).

Thanks

You will be fine. You want the roller to be able to turn so don't force it in. You don't really need the washers. You may find that tightening the bolt that the roller turns on brings the sides together anyway.