Swapping bow stop to a roller

NOTW

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm Jason from Lebanon, OH. I recently purchased a Sea Ray 220 which is my first boat! This is my first post so I wanted to introduce myself a little!

The Sea Ray sits on an Eagle trailer. While I was out boating a few weeks ago, someone suggested that I get rid of the bow stop that is on the trailer and put a roller on it. I was looking online at the rollers and stops, but I don't know what all is involved with swapping to a roller. Do I simply buy a roller and bolt it in? It's a 4 inch bow stop, so should I buy a 4 inch roller? Thanks for the help!

superbenk

Commander
Re: Swapping bow stop to a roller

What are you trying to fix? I have a bow stop on mine and it works just fine to stop the bow.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with superbenk, what problem are you supposed to be fixing by going to a roller. A roller will not have as much contact area as a regular bow stop. If you snug your bow down tight when you travel, you'll have a lot more pressure (which will eventually cause wear in the gelcoat on the bow). If your bow eye is above the bow stop, and the guy suggested to put a roller on so the bow strap could ride over it more easily, a better solution is to move the bow stop up above the eye, and mount the winch underneath the bow stop support beam.

a70eliminator

Captain

My boat had an ugly old black bow stop that was beginning to crack, I swapped in a roller and it works ok, added the end bells too but I liked my V stop better.
And yes all you need is a 4" roller, it will come with the axle bolt and locknut.

superbenk

Commander

My boat had an ugly old black bow stop that was beginning to crack, I swapped in a roller and it works ok, added the end bells too but I liked my V stop better.
And yes all you need is a 4" roller, it will come with the axle bolt and locknut.

Ditch the black rubber no matter what you do & get the yellow polymer stop or roller instead. They don't leave ugly black marks on your boat & last a lot longer:

IMG_4988.JPG

I replaced my bow stop & almost all my rollers with the polymer & it is so much better! Only thing I have left is a 16" wide roller all the way at the back that I haven't found a good replacement polymer for yet (or one I'm willing to spend the cash on).

NOTW

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys. The concern was that the stop I have can break apart resulting in the metal gouging into the boat. I was looking at those yellow ones. So I think my best choice would be to grab one of them and call it a day. I can see signs of wear in the my stop and since they are so cheap it wouldn't be dumb not to go ahead and swap it out.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I put a roller on with the end bells for one simple reason. Gouging of the hull. The bow stop on my trailer would tend to roll on the single boat and as a result expose the metal brackets to the hull. No matter how tight I tightened the bolt it tried to do this. With the roller I could care less if it rolls on the single bolt because it is after all a roller. Also, no more black marks on the boat. I for one would never have a stop again.

NOTW

Seaman Apprentice

I put a roller on with the end bells for one simple reason. Gouging of the hull. The bow stop on my trailer would tend to roll on the single boat and as a result expose the metal brackets to the hull. No matter how tight I tightened the bolt it tried to do this. With the roller I could care less if it rolls on the single bolt because it is after all a roller. Also, no more black marks on the boat. I for one would never have a stop again.

That's exactly what the guy at the dock was telling me. So you simply buy a roller that was the same size as the stop?

superbenk

Commander

Hrm, mine doesn't roll at all. I can twist it up or down, but it's very snug & doesn't roll on its own. Maybe you got a stop that was too narrow.

Either way, just get it in polymer! :)

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Hrm, mine doesn't roll at all. I can twist it up or down, but it's very snug & doesn't roll on its own. Maybe you got a stop that was too narrow.

Either way, just get it in polymer! :)

Doesn't matter to me why the stop was rolling on me. The fact is it was. I have had trailers with stops before and I prefer the roller over the stop any day. The only way I would have a stop now is if it came on a trailer when I buy it. Otherwise it is roller for me.

I agree, get the urethane roller to keep from marking up the hull.

To the OP -- Yes, if the stop was a 4" then get a 4" roller. I do strongly suggest getting the kind with the end bells.

DanMC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi NOTW, when comes to rollers i learned one name that's above the rest and that's only because they will not harm the boat , won't rot, they roll like butter and they look cool too, they are Stoltz. And if you care avout the North American economy/jobs you will be happy to know that this are Made in America...not taiwan or china,you choose:D.
Dan
I'm new at this stuff but by reading and talking with people i'm picking up a lot of good info.
2010 Lund WC with padles and a 2010 Honda 2 Hp:p

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Completely agreed with 109jb and DanMC above.

On my 15' open-bow, I too went from a 3" black rubber V-stop (that liked to roll over on me) to a 3" Stoltz orange polyurethane roller, and it was great. No more rollover / gouging, no more black streaks on hull, no more cracking of rubber.

Plus that orange makes an easily visible target to aim for while loading :D

Bear in mind that if you do this, your boat will now likely sit an inch or two further forward on the trailer than it did, so you may have to adjust the position of the winch post backward a little to keep the same trailer balance.

Fed

Commander

You would be better off with a roller superbenk so you could adjust your winch post properly, I don't think the block you have would sit right on the chine.

superbenk

Commander

You would be better off with a roller superbenk so you could adjust your winch post properly, I don't think the block you have would sit right on the chine.

Huh? I don't think my bow stop needs any adjustment & nothing is sitting on the Chinese of my boat...

Fed

Commander

From what I can see Benk there's nothing to stop the front of the boat bouncing up & down or even moving forward for that matter.