Spartan Trailer: What to do?

mlackore

Cadet
I am looking for some opinions here.

I currently have an early 80's, Spartan, steel frame, tilt bed, full roller boat trailer under my 84 Aluminum Sylvan Skipper 18 1/0. This is basically the same boat as the 1970's Starcraft Holiday 18 and is about maximum capacity for the trailer. I believe the trailer has a 2000lb axle but since the trailer tag is illegible, I cannot be certain.

This trailer does not have brakes and only an 8 ft tongue which puts the boat right behind the truck when on the road.

I have already re-done all of the trailer wiring and it works, and has worked for years, flawlessly. I don't really have many complaints about the trailer's performance hitching up, hauling, launching or loading besides the boat riding so close behind the truck and riding high on the trailer, it's a tilt bed after-all.

Option 1. Update the trailer. I am thinking about installing surge brakes, replacing the axle with a 3500lb unit, replacing the tires with a proper load rated pair, and installing a 10 ft tongue with a new winch stand.

Option 2, replace the trailer entirely. I have a friend who swears by the newer, wider, low slug trailers.

Cost is close to even if not favoring the upgrade by a couple hundred bucks.

Pics available if they'd help.

Thoughts?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Spartan Trailer: What to do?

If the cost difference is only a couple of hundred, I would go with a new trailer.
You would likely be able to sell your old trailer for at least that.

Does your calculations take into account the value of your time?
And the risk/cost of injury in doing the work?
Cost of all materials including taxes and shipping?

And if it is not a hot dip galvanized trailer frame, your wasting your effort to save $200.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Spartan Trailer: What to do?

You can likely find a good used trailer for $5-700, recoup some by selling yours.