Tire Size

rockb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trailer is currently wearing 155/80/13. One of the rims is pretty rusty and I got a pair of rims that have blown 175/80/13 tires on them (FREEBIE from dad).

I know nothing about tires so can I have 155/80/13 put on the "new" rims without an issue? What would be the advantage/disadvantage of the 175/80/13 over the 155/80/13?

Boat is an 18' aluminum 1976 Starcraft and a galvanized trailer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tire Size

Although the tires will fit on the rims, the question is what are the rims from. If they are trailer wheels, fine. If they are off an automobile you may have issues with bolt pattern, offset, fender clearance, etc. Trailer rims have zero offset meaning the area where the lug nuts go is on the exact centerline of the wheel when looking at the tread of tire. Front wheel drive vehicles have the offset toward the outside of the wheel while rear wheel drive cars have the offset toward the inside of the wheel. Bolt patterns (the circle on which the lug holes are placed) is not standard either. Know what you have before you go through the trouble of mounting tires.

Shrike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tire Size

175's are also taller than 155's which is better if they fit under the fenders o.k.
The larger diameter means less revolutions.