Max Trailering Width

What is the maximum legal width a boat can be and trailer it down the road without getting a wide load permit. I live in Ohio. I'm considering purchasing a larger boat (cruiser) and don't want to purchase a boat that is to wide to legally trailer on the highway.

Ganis

Cadet
Re: Max Trailering Width

Looks like for OH max width is 8'6" or 102" for trailer.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

8'6" is on major highways.... most other roads are limited to 8' I have towed a couple thousand miles (partially in ohio) with 10' and 11' wide boats with no permit without incident, although I have been told by a fellow that transports boats for a living that ohio is about the most likely state to get stopped in.... You may be able to get an anual recreational permit for cheap tho.... Also permits are required on state maintained roads but not generally even available for county roads hint hint :cool:

rockin ronnie

Recruit

I drive semi and ohio is a non forgiving state 102'' is the standard without needing a permit!

reelfishin

Captain

NJ says nothing over 96" is legal but I've got two that measure over 103" wide. One was under a 16' Bayliner Capri I scrapped. The thing was actually a bit wider but standard galvanized trailer rims stuck out past the fenders. I found a pair of narrower, negative offset rims that fit and moved the fenders in 1/2" on each side to get it down to where it is now. The sidewalls of the tires used measure nearly 105" overall. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they built this thing. It won't fit through a normal garage door but it's great for launching and loading.

The other is a bunk style tandem that came under a trihull, its just over 101" wide at the widest point, and one of the oddest frame configurations I've seen yet. Two 2x6 steel tubes, merged onto one 2x6" tube, with only one rear cross member at the very rear. The axles are all that's in between, and their flipped and super low. The two axles are also independent of each other. No center link between the springs on each side. The odd part is no cross members, just one keel roller on the end of the tongue tube, and the 4" angle iron cross member welded to the bottom of the two frame tubes in the rear. The bunks are attached with welded on arms that reach out from two points up front and two stands in the rear off the that cross member. Super light and low, but wide.

I've towed both all over NJ for years now, never had any problems. Both have been registered in NJ since new.

I'd think that so long as it fits between the lines, and you keep it that way when driving, its not too big an issue. Now if your 12' wide, then you may have a problem without a permit.

I did haul a 12.5' beam boat on a 4 axle trailer for a while, but only twice a year and only a mile and a half each way. No power lines, traffic lights, or turns in the way along the route. I even had police follow and block traffic while I backed in with it, not once did they mention it being over width. It didn't even have a trailer tag or lights. The trailer was homemade, a converted house hauler with some bunks added and some added support trusses here and there. My van would just barely move it.
Since it had no brakes, it was a 10 mile per hour ride each way. The fun part was getting it out of the field where it wintered the next spring. The truck always needed help getting the trailer back up on the road. I saved about $400 in the off season by not storing it at the marina's storage lot, and was able to run a power cord to a neighbors house where it stood if I needed to work on it. When I sold it, the buyer showed up with a small dump truck with a hitch, hitched it up and headed out of state with it. He had to cross a bridge somewhere into PA, not sure how he got by with that one. He did leave about 2am with it.
(Once out of that town, low wires were a real issue too).

Anyhow, my point is, some places are more lenient than others.
It may not be right or exactly legal by the book but I found most don't take a second look at a boat trailer.