• Carlisle

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other-Offered in my size

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KStoon

Seaman
In my tire size: 20.5x8.0-10 It's looking like I have limited choices. Loadstar K550's or Carlisles. I presently have load range D's. I'll probably be moving up to load range E. My delimina...Loadstars which seem to have a good following here are $51.50 each (tires only) or Carlisles which seem to be a sore spot to many are $101.50 (tires only). Twice the price? Which would you choose?

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Carlisle or Loadstar?

I've had to many blowouts with Carlise to put them on anything other than a wheel barrow.

wingmastr23

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just towed my boat nearly 3000 miles total with nylon LoadStars that I bought from Tractor Supply......I was amazed! They did great.....held their tire pressure....and still look like new.....

woosterken

Lieutenant

i have loadstars on my tandem trailer ,the same size as you need the first set lasted 6 years only to die of dry rot (my fault i think i used armorall on them) keep the air presure where it says on the side , dont use armorall and cover them from the sun
and they cant be beat.

woosterken

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had to many blowouts with Carlise to put them on anything other than a wheel barrow.

I had a Carlisle blow out on me yesterday. New at the start of the year. Had about 1000 miles on it. Going to call on Monday and see if I can get a new one or at least some credit towards a replacement.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

Loadstars for sure, I have a pair and they've held up well.

-E

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I must be a lucky one, Ive never had a problem with carlisle tires. Ive got about 15 thousand miles in 41/2 years and they still look good.

Sunking22

Cadet

I bought 2 Carlisle tires for my tandem trailer in June 09'. Last month one of them blew out due to the melting of the inner sidewall. They are barely a year old and might have 1000 miles on them.:( I did some research when I got home and that problem seems to be very common as I read one horror story after another about failing Carlisles for no apparent reason. In contrast I found only a handful of unsatisfied Loadstar people. As a result I have outfitted my trailer with all Loadstar K550's which I had to order online since I could not locate any dealers in my area. They seem to ride just fine - so I guess I'll see how things go.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a Carlisle blow out on me yesterday. New at the start of the year. Had about 1000 miles on it. Going to call on Monday and see if I can get a new one or at least some credit towards a replacement.

No satisfaction from the place I bought the tire. They said to contact Carlisle. I looked around online and ended up ordering a couple of Goodyear Marathon tires from TireRack. They had 2 that appeared to be the same except one was $82 and the other $86. The $86 was being discontinued so I don't know what the non-sale price was. After searching around and reading all the details the $82 tire is made in China and $86 tire was made in the USA. I bough the USA tire. Should be here on Thursday, just in time to get them mounted and ready to go for the weekend.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I just bought a Carlisle to replace my spare after a blowout. My tires are apparently an odd size (205 75 15) and every time I need a new one there is always only one brand available at one place in the state which I can't quite understand. It was $130 plus installing on the rim. I have three mismatched tires now. Consiser yourself lucky to have a choice of two. The carlisle has a more robust looking tread pattern than my other two but it's my spare so I hope for the best. As nearly impossible as it is to find the tire size, the six lug rim is even more difficult.

KStoon

Seaman

It sounds as if the Carlisles are not worth twice the price of Loadstars. If they were the same price the edge would probably go to Loadstars based on preferences but not with such a big difference in cost. I'm not trying to cheap out just trying to buy what lasts. Heck, anything should be an upgrade over the Trail America's my trailer came with.

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had 2 Carlisle tire blow-outs last year, both with less than 500 miles on them. Replaced all 4 with Towmaster tires and have over 3000 miles with no issues. However, I kept one Carlisle tire as a spare and I am scared to death it may blow out too if I ever need it :(

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Carlisle's are a crapshoot. They either work well for a long time or they blow right away.

While towing my dirt bike trailer with a buddy on a long trip, he noticed I had 2 new carlisle's on. (less than 1 yr old). he proceeded to tell me about his experience with them on his tandem boat trailer and he had gone thru 5 or 6 of them in just a few years until he moved to Goodyear for the last 2 years.

10 mins. after that conversation my Carlisle blew out.!!!!!

KStoon

Seaman

That will teach ya!! Every time I say something like that I jinx myself! I hope all came out OK. It seems like the consensus is Loadstar. Not sure what the "other" choices are. I haven't found much else if any that I recall.

Sunking22

Cadet

Here's an update - nearly 3 years after my original post I am still running that same set of Loadstar K550's and they are fit as a fiddle. I probably tow that boat about 1200 miles a year and this trailer gets wet many many times a year. As of right now the tread wear is great and there is no sign of dry rot. I can tell you that I'm completely satisfied with their performance and I will never buy/use a Carlisle tire again.

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

LoadStar and plenty of Armorall to looks great while trailering..... JA! :D