whats the white wire on a shoreline trailer ?

johnson426

Seaman
hey guys I have been having problems with my trailer, when I hook up the connects it will work sometime and sometimes it wount but I recently found a white wire just hanging where the trailer meets the tow ball. Anyone know where its suppose to be going ? maybe why my lights arent working ? thanks

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: whats the white wire on a shoreline trailer ?

The white wire is your ground wire. It should be attached to a paint free bolt on the trailer.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yup^^^^^, ground. Hook it up well!

johnson426

Seaman

ok is there any universal place where the ground goes ? I cant find anywhere,where it might have came unhooked off

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not universal, but generally it is mechanically fastened to the trailer frame via a bolt or screw, with a really clean ( rust/paint free) surface. You may also find that connection to the trailer with a ring type terminal end.

Sometimes , as on my trailer, there are individual ground wires continuing back to each light from the main grounding point, but that is not the norm.

Is the wire still connected at the wire coupler near the ball?

4 prong plug or some other kind?

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have mine hooked to the trailer at the coupler. I backed out one of the bolts holding the coupler on and crimped a ring lug on the white wire and attached it to the bolt and have been good. Think I may have also used a star washer to help it bite into the trailer for a better ground too.

Brewman61

Ensign

A faulty ground is probalby responsible for more lighting woes than most any other single cause. I'm my neighborhood's "goto" guy for boating/trailer electrial problems, and bad ground is behind almost all of the problems.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A faulty ground is probalby responsible for more lighting woes than most any other single cause. I'm my neighborhood's "goto" guy for boating/trailer electrial problems, and bad ground is behind almost all of the problems.

Absolutely correct!
That's why I run grounds from the lights mounting bolts up to the white wire.
Solder all that can be.
Electrical grease on bolt / wire connects (grounds).
Seal all joints w/ 2 layers of liquid tape & shrink tube.

Only probs I have now is an occasional (rare) burnt bulb.

(I play in saltwater)

Yours may never have been hooked up.
Many figure grounding thru the ball is good (it's not!).
Also, paint and galvanize do not conduct elecricity well. If the traier is bolted together, and the connection rust over time,,, finding out why your lights act up can drive you nuts. Run the extra grounds and forget it.

MRS

Commander

I mount mine to the trailer file to metal drill and bolt to bare metal and then spray paint over it. I do this to all my trailers got tired of fighting bad grounds works great and all my lights work....:)