Four Winns Trailer with Surge Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.

awatson20

Cadet
I have an older Four Winns single axle trailer that has a removeable tongue with surge brake mechanism. There doesn't appear to be any pressure in the surge brake, thus causing the coupler to slam forward when I am braking. I have been told this may be because of water/rust in the brake lines or master cylinder over time. I do not like this type of moving mechanism at all. Can this be replaced with a tongue/coupler that does not move/pivot over the hitch ball? Should I attempt to repair the surge brake? If I replace the trailer tongue/coupler with another one I assume I will lose the trailer brakes, although they are not working now. Ant recommendations as to what to replace this with? Thanks in advance for your time.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Four Winns Trailer with Surge Brake

Its slamming forward because your master cylinder and/or wheel cylinders have likely failed and there is no brake fluid left. Equivalent of losing the brakes in your car and the pedal goes to the floor. Replace your brake parts and be safe.

Mn_Z_Man

Cadet

Depending on how heavy the boat and trailer is, and state laws, you may have to repair it by law- in my state any trailer with a gross weight over 2,000# is required to have brakes. I am in exactly the same situation, just bought an 18' four winns last weekend, and the surge brakes are bone dry. I am going to get quotes on fixing it, or a may try it myself if I can find a manual or instructions. Having working brakes is not a bad idea for anything of any size.
good luck

Eric

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Surge breaks are not the most efficient mechanisms around and they do require a significant amount of maintenance, so ask yourself, how much does your boat and trailer weigh? What are you towing it with? If your boat is less than 2K lbs and your tow vehicle is a good-sized truck with descent brakes, why bother with surge brakes? Just one more thing to have to tinker with. IMO

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had the same problem last weekend on my Four Winns trailer. Master cylinder is empty. Fill it up and work the action by hand and see where it leaks.

Mine was a 10 minute fix. There is a fluid return line above the lock out solenoid. It is hard to see but it seems to go from the forward side of the fluid reservoir to part of the cylinder. It slips over a nipple on each end and has a tie strap around each to hold it in place. Mine slipped off at the reservoir side. A little bit of brake fluid, a 30 cents tie strap and 10 minutes later and I was golden.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I rebuilt my surge brakes on my trailer. Not too big a deal really. I used new backplates that included cylinders, shoes and springs, and put a new master in to the actuator. Bled the system with new fluid and it's all good now. It's nice to know they are operational should an emergency stop situation arise.

Mn_Z_Man

Cadet

Tractoman, where did you get your parts? Sounds like this would be the best course for me too. I had to rebuild the brakes on my '73 datsun after it had sat, and I found it was just easier to buy new parts than rebuilding.

thanks

Eric

oldjeep

Admiral

Depending on how heavy the boat and trailer is, and state laws, you may have to repair it by law- in my state any trailer with a gross weight over 2,000# is required to have brakes. I am in exactly the same situation, just bought an 18' four winns last weekend, and the surge brakes are bone dry. I am going to get quotes on fixing it, or a may try it myself if I can find a manual or instructions. Having working brakes is not a bad idea for anything of any size.
good luck

Eric

In Minnesota anything over 3K is required to have brakes.

Mn_Z_Man

Cadet

sorry, don't know where the 2K came from, maybe a genral rule of thumb I heard.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.