Boat & trailer weights

adub

Recruit
Shopping for my first boat and Im trying to limit my search to sizes of boats I can realistically pull with my 2005 Xterra. The X is rated to 5000lbs, it has a manual trans upgraded brakes and air bags on the rear as I do tow a small utility trailer with it now.

Are there any good resources for looking up the weight of boats? Is it listed on the boat anywhere?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat & trailer weights

Unless you are towing short distances, there is no way I would tow 5000# with that vehicle. Wheelbase is WAY too short. Is 5000# with a manual transmission?

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you use the NADA guides, as suggested above, make sure that you pay attention to if the motor is included in the boat weight. Some are, some aren't, and some include a motor that may be smaller than what you have.

And, as mentioned, you also have to add in fuel, cooler, gear, etc.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

And the trailer is not included either.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I towed a 4000# boat/trailer once as a test run with a Chevy Blazer that was also rated for 5000#. It was not fun.

adub

Recruit

I have no intention of pulling a boat weighing near 5000lbs. The Xterra weighs just over 4000 lbs and is a short wheelbase as mentioned. I'd like to stay under 3500lbs on the boat/trailer total weight. Im looking at 18/19ft boats and estimating the trailer weights 1000lbs?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You should be ok at 3500#. I would definitely double check the tow ratings with a manual transmission. Often they are a lot lower with a manual.

NYBo

Admiral

I have no intention of pulling a boat weighing near 5000lbs. The Xterra weighs just over 4000 lbs and is a short wheelbase as mentioned. I'd like to stay under 3500lbs on the boat/trailer total weight. Im looking at 18/19ft boats and estimating the trailer weights 1000lbs?
That size range should be in the ballpark, weight-wise. My 17' bowrider weighs less than 2000# with trailer. A boat with an outboard will usually weigh a little less than a comparable one with an I/O.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I think you're in the ballpark with your weight estimate. I used to pull a 21' Pro-Line walkaround cuddy. Dry weight of the boat was 2200 lbs. Motor, fuel and 'stuff' pushed the weight to about 3000. My tandem axle Shoreland'r trailer weighed 1200 lbs.

No experience with an Xterra, tho- I was driving a 1/2 ton pickup.

Good luck!

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with your thought process. I've a 05 Pathfinder, which is the XTerra's bigger brother and I'm towing a 5000# boat/trailer. While the Pathfinder get's it done, it's at it's limits. I'm very very reluctant to tow any distance at all and most of my tows are less than 20 miles. Were it not for good trailer brakes, I wouldn't think of towing this thing.

adub

Recruit

The boat Im looking at right now shows up on NADA as 2300lbs, but thats with a V6 and this boat is a V8. I figure 2500lbs plus trailer and gear. Probably go a bit over 3500, but under 4000.

bekosh

Lieutenant

For trailer weights, EZ Loader has an online brochure that is really helpful. Specification charts start on page 9.

Just look at the style (bunk or roller), number of axles, length and capacity. The "shipping weight" for the trailer should be pretty close to what you are looking for.

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat Im looking at right now shows up on NADA as 2300lbs, but thats with a V6 and this boat is a V8. I figure 2500lbs plus trailer and gear. Probably go a bit over 3500, but under 4000.

I'd highly recommend working trailer brakes, then.

With your shorter wheelbase, towing any distance in a cross wind....well let's just say you'll know it's behind you. You're going to be near the limit of the Xterra's comfortable ability. Keep this in mind when you load up everything for the tow. Add gas and ice etc as late in the tow as possible.

mnewb1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am new to this game and have not purchased any boat yet, but I plan to tow with a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which has the 5.7 L 8 cylinder Hemi with a tow package rated to 7400 lbs.

I though this would be a robust vehicle for towing, any problems that I should look out for?

OldNBold51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am new to this game and have not purchased any boat yet, but I plan to tow with a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland which has the 5.7 L 8 cylinder Hemi with a tow package rated to 7400 lbs.

I though this would be a robust vehicle for towing, any problems that I should look out for?

This should be fine. However: the 7400#'s is for perfect conditions... flat ground or downhill both ways, low altitude, mild temps etc. Knock off 15-20% of that rating and you've got realistic figures. Trailer brakes for anything over about 3500#'s really really help, especially while stopping on a downhill grade.

mnewb1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This should be fine. However: the 7400#'s is for perfect conditions... flat ground or downhill both ways, low altitude, mild temps etc. Knock off 15-20% of that rating and you've got realistic figures. Trailer brakes for anything over about 3500#'s really really help, especially while stopping on a downhill grade.

Thanks.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

+1. Good advice all around!