• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat Behind Travel Trailer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Behind Travel Trailer

Before we get interested in upgrading from tents to a Travel Trailer...
    -Missouri
    -2005 Durango
    -15' Tri-hull
    -Looking to drive up to 300 mi one-way

I looked at http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm from the sticky, and it appears that it is legal to tow two trailers in Missouri with my Class F license. I've done some iboats forum searching and not found a lot of info regarding the how-tos (maybe there's a reason). We're looking at picking up a Travel Trailer in the 20' range. My question is, if it's legal, how does one tow a boat behind a Travel Trailer? Is there a tow package add-on to the TT?

Our sucks option is to get a hitch for the minivan to haul the boat and take two vehicles... but that raises another set of problems.

Thanks again,
    CHAD
    sigpic
    1979 AMF Crestliner Muskie 550 14'
    1978 Evinrude 70Hp
    2005 Durango Hemi

Re: Boat Behind Travel Trailer

I believe the travel trailer must be a fifth-wheel in order to pull a boat or other trailer behind it.

My dad had one for a while, couldn't stand pulling the double trailers. Sold the rig and bought a large camper for his F-450 and was a lot happier
    sigpic

Tools are used to make things easier for us, use them wisely

Comment

Originally posted by Lrider View Post
      I believe the travel trailer must be a fifth-wheel in order to pull a boat or other trailer behind it.

My dad had one for a while, couldn't stand pulling the double trailers. Sold the rig and bought a large camper for his F-450 and was a lot happier
      There are weight restrictions and depends from state to state, but it doesn't always have to be a fifth-wheel!

If you've checked your laws and it's legal then make sure you have the right gearing, trailer brakes on the TT, and a good knowledge of towing.

My family has been pulling a bumper pull 19' camper with a double jet ski trailer behind that has the extra locker on board as well. We tow from Colorado Springs, CO to Ogallala, NE (around 300 miles) every year for the past 25 years! No problems since we got the Jet Skis back in '94. Towed currently with a 2005 F250 Superduty.

I have towed a 14' camper and my '74 Glastron behind my '87 Suburban 1500 in the same fashion twice. Don't let anyone discourage you. Only problem may be in your tow vehicle choice.
      '71 Pipestone- Mariner Wavemaster '71 Volvo- Penta AQ170/270 I/O

Comment

Originally posted by Lrider View Post
        I've been searching for an hour and can't find specifics, so I just now called the MO Highway Patrol HQ in town and asked the officer if it's legal to tow a boat behind a travel trailer. He said he sees that all the time. He put me on hold to check it, then came back and said as long as you're under the height and length restrictions, and have working lights and whatnot, then it's OK. I specifically asked about a Durango towing a TT, towing a boat. I should have just called to begin with...

CHAD
        sigpic
        1978 Evinrude 70Hp
        2005 Durango Hemi

Comment

Glad to hear that Chad. I would still be careful about stopping with that vehicle and make sure you get brakes for your TT to help you stop! It's legal, but is it preferred if you're not set up for it?

Comment

Originally posted by ClassyGlassy View Post
            Don't let anyone discourage you. Only problem may be in your tow vehicle choice.
            What trouble might I have with the Durango? It's rated something like 8500lbs towing, and I plan to keep it 20% under that amount.

CHAD
            sigpic
            1978 Evinrude 70Hp
            2005 Durango Hemi

Comment

it's a brake issue! You will burn your brakes up fast if you don't get a trailer with trailer brakes..........

That Durango may be rated for 8500lbs but it's for a short period of time, NOT continuous.

Just be careful and make sure it's set up for it! Or be prepared for an accident when you're brakes go out.

Comment

The Durango transmission may not handle it for long either.
                No way i would pull that setup with a mid-size SUV.
                Short wheelbase will get you too...If it ever starts to sway going down the road you are in a fix...
                sigpic

1981 ChrisCraft 210 Scorpion K,175 Johnson SeaHorse

Comment

Up here in Alberta Canada the first trailer must be a 5 wheel in order to pull a second but I would bet that would be the same restriction down there.

Comment

Originally posted by jusfloatin View Post
                    Up here in Alberta Canada the first trailer must be a 5 wheel in order to pull a second but I would bet that would be the same restriction down there.
                    depends on state... some are 5th wheel only, some require electrically activated trailer brakes on one or both trailers

also, this is one of those things that you WILL get nailed for if you drive through a state where your current setup isn't legal. doesn't matter that the state you started in allows it, it is your job to ensure it is legal in all states you drive through.

Comment

should be interesting, these are the states that limit towing to a fifth wheel

With certain qualifications. Only with fifth-wheel trailer in Arizona, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, Manitoba (maximum length 23m.) and Saskatchewan

Then there is some other restrictions, Mo: Total maximum combined length of 65 ft.

Brake laws are not stated for MO. but I suggest your heaviest vehicle havd brakes. Jack knifing is not fun
                      sigpic

Tools are used to make things easier for us, use them wisely

Comment

Forgive my naivete, but why would the Durango transmission not be able to handle a ~5000lb trailer load? It has the tow/haul switch that changes the transmission shifting rpms.

Thanks for the wise words. Agreed the electronic brakes would be a necessity for the TT.

CHAD
                        sigpic
                        1978 Evinrude 70Hp
                        2005 Durango Hemi

Comment

Originally posted by seedlings View Post
                          Forgive my naivete, but why would the Durango transmission not be able to handle a ~5000lb trailer load? It has the tow/haul switch that changes the transmission shifting rpms.

Thanks for the wise words. Agreed the electronic brakes would be a necessity for the TT.

CHAD
                          What Engine/gear ratio setup are you running?
                          sigpic
                          1995 Monterey Montura 210 5.7l Merc Alpha 1
                          2003 GMC Yukon 5.3l 3.73 gears

My Completed Deck/Stringer Restore
                          http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....74#post2486474

Comment

Originally posted by MTribe08 View Post
                            What Engine/gear ratio setup are you running?
                            2005 SLT AWD 5.7 Hemi, 3.55 ratio. I just looked, as I'm reading up on some Dodge forums too.

CHAD

edit* Just found http://www.trailerboats.com/towratin...t=&max_tlimit= where it says my setup has a tow rating of 7150lbs
                            sigpic
                            1978 Evinrude 70Hp
                            2005 Durango Hemi

Comment

Originally posted by seedlings View Post
                              2005 SLT AWD 5.7 Hemi, 3.55 ratio. I just looked, as I'm reading up on some Dodge forums too.

CHAD

edit* Just found http://www.trailerboats.com/towratin...t=&max_tlimit= where it says my setup has a tow rating of 7150lbs
                              Ok, with that Combo, I feel better. I had a Dodge 1500, with the 318 v8, 33" tires and 4.10 gears. Did pretty good towing about I towed a 65 mustang on a big heavy car hauler trailer across country. I did ok, but I wouldn't have wanted to double up..no way.

Like everybody has said, leave it out of overdrive, and make sure you have electric brakes on the TT. And I would be very cautious with your speed..with that small of a tow rig, you wouldn't want the tail to start wagging the dog.
                              sigpic
                              1995 Monterey Montura 210 5.7l Merc Alpha 1
                              2003 GMC Yukon 5.3l 3.73 gears

My Completed Deck/Stringer Restore
                              http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....74#post2486474

Comment

Working...
                              X