tire size conversion??

Bravo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My dad wants me to take over his old boat. It needs work, as most do. It is a 1976 23' slickcraft cuddy cabin. My problem is this. It is 350 miles away and the tires have been on the trailer over 15 years. Great tread on them, but severely dry rotted on the side. There is no way in the world I'm making that trip on those tires. They are a 6.00-9.00 tire. Ive never heard of that size before. They are also a 5 lug rim. Ideally, I would take a set of 4 down there and replace them after repacking the bearings. The load range is pretty high, somewhere around 1,100 lbs. each. Can I use another size tire, and if so, what would be comparable? Its a reasonably heavy boat as well. Can anyone tell me where I could get a set of rims/tires that size at a reasonable price, or what would size would be safe to change it to?

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: tire size conversion??

Take the information off the side of the tire, that 6.00 x something should give you the rim diameter

Take the info to your tire dealer

For a 23 foot boat I think the tire load range is a bit lite at 1100 each

what is the weight of the boat, motor and trailer

I like 5 lug rims 6 is better load distribution

Bravo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Take the information off the side of the tire, that 6.00 x something should give you the rim diameter

Take the info to your tire dealer

For a 23 foot boat I think the tire load range is a bit lite at 1100 each

what is the weight of the boat, motor and trailer

I like 5 lug rims 6 is better load distribution

I couldn't tell you the weight of this thing, but I know its pretty heavy. I haven't seen the boat in a long time, and it hasn't seen the water in a longer bit of time, but I do know it gave my dad's F-150 a run for its money. On the highway, 5th gear in the truck was out of the question... I'm having to go on my sister's info over the phone about the tires. Its severely underpowered by a MerCruiser 6 cyl (165 hp) as it would hardly ever get over 22 mph wide open on the water. I'll be retrofitting a 350 in her as the original engine has freeze damage.

Bravo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got some more usefull info if anyone can help out... the tire size is 6.00-9.00, load range C, and max load will be 1120 lbs. at 60 psi.

I did find somewhere that can get just the tire, but they are $65 each, then once I'm down there I'll have to pull off all 4 and take to a tire shop somewhere and pay to have them mounted. That's a bit steep for me right now in all honesty on top of the amount of diesel fuel we will burn on a 700 mile round trip. I'm hoping to see if I can get a tire rim combo in another size that will work as well for a little less money and without the hassle and added expense of a tire shop visit. Would a 5.80x8 work?

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Got some more usefull info if anyone can help out... the tire size is 6.00-9.00, load range C, and max load will be 1120 lbs. at 60 psi.

I did find somewhere that can get just the tire, but they are $65 each, then once I'm down there I'll have to pull off all 4 and take to a tire shop somewhere and pay to have them mounted. That's a bit steep for me right now in all honesty on top of the amount of diesel fuel we will burn on a 700 mile round trip. I'm hoping to see if I can get a tire rim combo in another size that will work as well for a little less money and without the hassle and added expense of a tire shop visit. Would a 5.80x8 work?

I don't know what tire shops you go to, but the ones around here include mounting and balance in the price.

I don't think you are going to find cheaper tires in that load range. Your load range for that tire is 1100 pounds

a load range D for the 5.80x8 might be about 1000

http://www.carlisletire.com/media/catalogs/trailer.pdf

Call these guys and ask them

http://www.carlisletire.com/

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 6.00-9 is 22 inches in diameter - the same as the much more common 5.30-12 and ST145-R12 sizes. The 12 inch tires have load ratings of 1050 lbs in L.R. C and around 1200 lb in L.R. D.

Bravo

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The 6.00-9 is 22 inches in diameter - the same as the much more common 5.30-12 and ST145-R12 sizes. The 12 inch tires have load ratings of 1050 lbs in L.R. C and around 1200 lb in L.R. D.

Awesome.... that's what I wanted to know. Thank you!!