Storing trailer with wheels off the ground?

followme21

Seaman
Does anyone store their boat /trailer off the ground on stands while storing over the winter? I never have before but I noticed this spring one of my tires had three severe blisters only on one side of my tir, like from being compressed all winter. The tires are 6ply trailer tires..the heavest I can get around here. My tire guy sold me a new one for half price cause it wasnt very old. But was thinkning about putting the boat and trailer on jack stands next winter...any thoughts?

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Storing trailer with wheels off the ground?

Does anyone store their boat /trailer off the ground on stands while storing over the winter? I never have before but I noticed this spring one of my tires had three severe blisters only on one side of my tir, like from being compressed all winter. The tires are 6ply trailer tires..the heavest I can get around here. My tire guy sold me a new one for half price cause it wasnt very old. But was thinkning about putting the boat and trailer on jack stands next winter...any thoughts?

Here is a good read about trailer tires and their care:

http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=2355013

Happy boating!

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds as if you had a bad tire. Some tires are just poorly made. Either that, or the tire was damaged in some way - possibly by impact while driving or from exposure to some strong chemical.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I store mine on jack stands during the winter.

Liberated

Cadet

+1 on the jackstands. Its got to be better than leaving the tires sit in one spot all winter.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Wheels off and stored inside with the trailer up on blocks.

KStoon

Seaman

x2 for wheels off and stored inside. I block under the axles by the springs. It is more work but it helps extend the life of the tires and the rims. As a bonus who could steal the boat/trailer like that!

Chuck1a

Seaman

x2 for wheels off and stored inside. I block under the axles by the springs. It is more work but it helps extend the life of the tires and the rims. As a bonus who could steal the boat/trailer like that!

+3. Plus it makes it easy to perform yearly maintenance on the bearings.

notaz3

Seaman Apprentice

+4 I use jack stands and run a cable through the wheels and stands. if you want my boat your going to have to work for it.