• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Oil To Use For Oil Bath Hubs?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Oil To Use For Oil Bath Hubs?

I'm going on a ~500 mile round trip soon with my EZ trailer and boat.

I've taken the boat out only 3 times this year , but I noticed the other day, there might be water in the hubs and a possible slow leak. I forgot where the oil level was on it last year. But both sides, the oil levels are exactly the same....

Anyways, manual states 50w oil, or 90w gear oil.

I have some Mobil 1 75w-90 gear oil on hand. I was hoping to use that if I could.
    But I would probably be more comfortable getting something closer to the spec recommendation.

I know Amsoil has a 80w-90 gear oil.
    They also have a "Marine" 75w-90/80w-90 mixture.

If I remember correctly, my local West Marine has 90w gear oil,but it's some brand I've never heard of.

Suggestions?

Re: What Oil To Use For Oil Bath Hubs?

Yes you can use that

The 75w is the weight classification of the oil at room temp and the 90 means it will have the properties of a 90 weight when it heats up.

Motor oil is the same ie 5w30 make it easier for the motor to start but when heat and friction starts the oil gets thicker to stick better/longer.

Comment

I use Mobil 1 75w-90 and haven't had a problem with my EZ Loader trailer. I keep mine filled about 3/4 of the way up so the oil level just hits the top of the Reliable emblem embossed on the hub.
      sigpic

We be boat peeps
      2008 GT-185 3.0l Penta

Comment

I use 75W90 synthetic and it works great. Autozone or Advanced Auto should have plenty of it. I've also got clear hub covers so I can see inside the hub without tearing anything apart. Good luck!
        2008 Four Winns H220 Frenzy - 5.7L VP SX Drive 320 hp
        2010 Ford F150 Platinum Tow Vehicle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cribber View Post
          I use Mobil 1 75w-90 and haven't had a problem with my EZ Loader trailer. I keep mine filled about 3/4 of the way up so the oil level just hits the top of the Reliable emblem embossed on the hub.
          Yeah, that's the thing. Both sides of mine right now, are right at the halfway mark.

I could have sworn last year when I read the PDF from EZ, it said to put it in the middle. But when I just looked at it earlier, it says top of the logo.

That's my reasoning as to a possible leak. But I'm not 100% sure. I guess I'll take the bottle of oil with me on my trip.

Comment

i used 90 weight in the oil bath hubs on my semi trailers.
            they had the little plug in the center of the cap , and i kept the oil right at the bottom of the opening.
            you can pick up 90 at any truck stop

woosterken
            woosterken
            '74 MFG gypsy
            '95 F150 4X4

Comment

Working...
            X