1963 Gator boat trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulser

Recruit
We want to sell a 1963 Gator boat trailer, can be folded. Do not have any idea what it is worth? Any help appreciated.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1963 Gator boat trailer

folded? do you mean tilted? More info and pics will help.

Sulser

Recruit

The tongue folds back on the trailer for storage purposes.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

I had a '59 Gator, they were the supplier to Lonestar, trailer was built in Jacksonville. FL. I completely redid mine, as well as the boat, sold the rig for $3K.

If it's got some wear/tear and hasn't really been messed with but still good structurally, you might get $500 for it, more likely $300...

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

Up here, you will likely get $250 or less if it is structurally sound. If it's in excellent condition a 14' gator trailer may get $500, but closer to $350-$400. I bought a 10-12 year old shoreland'r galvanized roller trailer for $400...no rust, no wear and tear. I would imagine 47 year old trailer will go for less.

chick92064

Seaman

This topic gives me a chance to pursue an issue I've wondered about. Earlier this year, I became aware of Cruiser's Inc boats having seen an 18ft runabout at the shop where I get my outboard motors repaired. That boat had a particular trailer which I have come to understand was/is a Gator. It tilted, had a device that raised or lowered the bunks and had a built in jack on the stbd rear corner. I have since seen two other of the same model Cruiser's Inc boats with the exact same trailer under them. Finally, I recently purchased a restorable Cruiser's Inc boat/trailer/motor of the same style as the three I had seen over the summer and the trailer under mine is exactly the same as these other three. Which leads me to ask - - -did the trailer come with the boat from the Mfgr under some sort of agreement between Cruiser's Inc and Gator ? Or is this just happenstance times four ? I ask, because it would seem that if indeed the trailer/boat were sold as package, one would want the correct trailer for a period correct restoration effort. Or not ? You tell me. I'm no expert when it comes to boats, trailers, motors etc. I know you can find any size year make motor on any given boat and the same would seem true for trailers EXCEPT it does seem odd that I've seen four of 18ft Cruiser's Inc runabouts and all four of them had/have the same trailer.

Brian

chick92064

Seaman

The internet works in strange ways. I Googled Cruiser's Inc 18ft Wooden Boat for sale and came upon a two year old ad for a boat in Texas in prime condition that had been sold. The lady had recently gotten a spate of new e-mails on the sale and replied to me in order to see if she could determine why. To cut to the chase, she and I have corresponded a bit as her Daddy had bought the boat brand new and she grew up with it. It was something she shared with her Dad and loved very much (yet she sold it - - go figure) Anyway, she told me that the Gator Trailer shown in the ad was not the trailer that her Dad got when he bought the boat new. He had bought the Gator a year or two afterward. So I guess that blows my theory of these boats/trailers being a package deal and you picked your engine.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.