rubber seasense roller slides off bushing and over roller arm, can i glue it?

bzajdek

Seaman
My rollers have bushing that felt molded when I installed them a week ago now they are sliding over the inside arm on my shoreline trailer. I don't have any extral room to add a washer behind the roller,there was barely enough to fit on in front of the clips. Can I use some type of epoxy, glue, rubber cement to keep them in place? Thanks for any help!:eek:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: rubber seasense roller slides off bushing and over roller arm, can i glue it?

Ayuh,... Sounds like you got the wrong 1s,...
If you glue 'em, they won't turn...

bzajdek

Seaman
Re: rubber seasense roller slides off bushing and over roller arm, can i glue it?

Yes they are not the exact replacement, I can't find moeller rollers with a 3/4 shaft and the inside bushing length less than 1 1/4 i have called several manufacturers and talked to the tech support at easternmarine.com the trailer parts superstore. They no longer make a direct fit, soooo I did what many people did when they were younger and didn't have money for brand new things, they modified old things to work in a particular application. I became fairly proficient at this, but back to my current problem. The glue would only glue the bushing to the rubber roller, not the aluminum support arm that it rides on. My latest and greatest idea is to have someone punch some 18 guage sheetmetal to make very thin washers that will be installed behind the roller on the tapered aluminum arm and prevent the bushing from sliding through the rubber roller. By the way I bought seasense rollers from iboats. I had actually called seasense the manufacturer and they said the inside length of the bushing was less than one inch but its actually about 1 3/8". You can even be mislead my the manufacturer.

oldjeep

Admiral

Seems like the easies thing to do would be to shorten the bushings by the width of 2regular washers and then drill the roller ends so that the washer will fit just inside.