Vin Number Location

56luo

Recruit
I have a 1983 Sea-King Boat Trailer which I am trying to regriater in a state that requires boat regristration. Trailer came from a state that does not require boat regristration. I am unable to find a vin number stamped anywhere on the trailer. Anyone have any ideas where to look on this 1983 Sea-King trailer. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Sea'Scape

Cadet
Re: Vin Number Location

Could it be like my Yacht Club trailer? The VIN number was on a decal that was on the suide of the tongue. Over the years the decal disintegrated and the VIN number disappeared. Because I had the original number I was able to get a replacement decal from Yacht Club. The replacement is sitting safely in a filing cabinet until such time as I need it on the trailer.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

VINs are almost never stamped on a trailer. They're put on a decal (sticker which eventually wears thru or falls off) or a metal plate (riveted, which eventually rusts off).

As a result, old trailers OFTEN have lost their vin tag long ago.

So you'll need to talk to your BMV about having a vin number assigned to your trailer. All states have a process for these types of situations where they will generate a VIN for you, so you can use it to get a title and plate for highway use.

Cougar_Bait

Cadet

My stickers wore off so I have been dealing with trying to get registration done.

Contact your local DMV and find out the process. I recommend getting a move on it because sometimes it can take 4-6 weeks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Every State/Area is different ........ Here where I live in VT the motor vehicle department will issue a VIN sticker after making the owner jump through hoops.......

Patience with the "authorities" is the only way to deal with it.

jlgab345

Seaman Apprentice

Our trailer (newer '02) had a sticker on the tongue that looks like it should have the VIN on it, but it appeared to look completely faded. The sheriff who did our VIN inspection told us to reapply for a new VIN #.

Thankfully the right rear brake light was out and when hubby when to change it, he found the VIN sticker right on the inside/underside of the trailer by the brake light. We never would have thought to look there. Turns out the sticker on the tongue was blank!

Hope you find it!

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not an answer to your question, but a possiable solution. Some states are pretty lax on what they consider a "home-built" trailer. I had one once that I replaced the tongue on and called it "homemade" and got issued a vin#, inspected and signed off by the highway patrol (to make sure I had stamped the # on it), and issued a title for. (this trailer I'm referring to still had a MAJOR manufacturer's decals on it, but yet no questions were asked about it.

Might be an easy (but yet still legal) way to get a title worked out.