Fulton 1300 winch how to?

NateWI

Cadet
Ok, I've searched the net and can't find much help with how my trailer winch is supposed to operate. I'm used to the spring loaded kind where you have to use your thumb to pull on the ratchet/gear catch to release the spool so you can pull out rope/strap slack when loading the boat. Then you let go with your thumb and start cranking. "click, click, click..." Basically the winch is always locked unless you manually release the catch. This is nice incase you get tired of cranking or you need to adjust your grip or reposition the boat.

my new to me boat and trailer has a which similar to this one

http://www.fultonperformance.com/product/details.asp?ProdID=T1100Z0101&cat=7920

with a rocker like ratchet gear catch. I can't figure this one out. The rocker is either engaged (appearing to lock the spool with the tab pushed up) or dis-engaged (tab down and the catch pulled back from the spool). But there doesn't seem to be a position where I can set it to actually "ratchet" or engage with the "click, click, click..." If I let go, it just starts unwinding unless I manually fiddle with it and re-engage the catch. But then I can't crank until i disengage it again.

This is a used setup. Am I missing a spring somewhere? I found this part package which looks like it would fit my rig but It doesn't look like there are any more parts in this repair kit than what I already have.

Just looking for a little insight. It seams odd that I can't get it to "click" while i crank and seems like a safety issue. If my hand were to slip and lose grip on the crank, it could come spinning back at me.

...and yes, I know I need a new strap.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/F...het+Repair+Kit+(For++1100+-+1500+Models).html

DSCN4236web.jpg

DSCN4231web.jpg

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: Fulton 1300 winch how to?

It looks like just turning it clockwise it should rachet and catch when you release the handle as your winching the boat up. Going down and counter clockwise It looks like it's gonna hurt!

NateWI

Cadet

turning clockwise just pushes the catch out of the way. There is not spring providing any tension to pull the catch back into the sprockets. That's what seams odd.

In the first picture, on top of the catch, you can see a small indent. That indent does have a small hole that goes through the catch. I was thinking that there should be some type of spring there to provide some tension.

The only springs on my setup are a couple of spring form washers on either side of the catch.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Your missing a spring that should wrap around the crank shaft inside the lever for the pawl. Then when you push down on the lever the pawl releases but when you crank the pawl snaps from tooth to tooth.

The repair kit you listed includes it --- Contains: 1 each - spring, pawl, spacer, locknut. Look at the picture in the repair kit. The pawl in the picture makes a right angle unlike your straight one. And by the look of the pawl it will ratchet while cranking up and down.