Ball mount ex-tender

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
They sell these at local places to extend the length between hitch ball, and the mount, Would this be wise to help keep from wading at ramp during load. Ramp is apprx. 2 miles, 09 1500 dodge ram Hemi-- crestliner 1900 superhawk 150 merc, Just your thot's because if not safe , why do they sell them,

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ball mount ex-tender

Would another foot of hitch length keep you from getting your feet wet?
Yes those would work....for your short distance to the ramp.

As an alternative, consider this method:

If your alone, tie a length of line from the winch post on the trailer, to a cleat or the boweye on the boat.....let your vehicle/boat roll back down the ramp freely (not the full length of the ramp mind you, but just enough to get some good inertia on the "pop") , until your trucks back tires are just touching the water.
Then "pop" the brakes and the boat should just slide right off the trailer.
Get out of your truck, and if you don't want to get your feet wet, climb up into the truck bed and over the tailgate to stand on the trailer tongue or hitch.....grab the line and pull your boat in.
(if you have a camper...your SOL on getting into the truck bed)

If someone is in the boat and your backing the truck down, omit the line to the hitch post and just "pop" em off the trailer......you don't even have to get out of the truck.

As a safety precaution, stop the boat half way down the ramp and undo the safety chain and winch strap to make sure your boat is not going to slide off on it's own. That is highly unlikely to happen, but check it first before you go rolling down the ramp with the boat not secured to the trailer.

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used my for over 5 years and haven't had a problem. In fact I drove from Phoenix to Sacramento towing a 20' Reinell Cuddy coupled to this extender.

hes6_tn.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The only real issue with a receiver extension is it places the coupler and resulting tongue weight farther from the rear axle. Think of it as a long lever. On a heavy duty truck that is not as much of an issue as it would be on a small pickup, SUV or car. It can cause a very light feeling to the steering. This is why a fifth wheel is placed ahead of or directly over the axle on a semi. The closer the ball is to the axle the better. Moving it farther away "may" cause handling issues and definitely will increase sway tendency.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

It also greatly reduced the amount of tongue weight that the hitch can safely haul.... Check with the manufacturer of your hitch....

if you don't believe me... pick up your trailer tongue at the coupler... then put a ball mount in the extender and hitch it to the trailer.... try to hold the part of the extender that goes in the hitch and pick up the trailer while keeping the ballmount level...

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Would another foot of hitch length keep you from getting your feet wet?
Yes those would work....for your short distance to the ramp.

As an alternative, consider this method:

If your alone, tie a length of line from the winch post on the trailer, to a cleat or the boweye on the boat.....let your vehicle/boat roll back down the ramp freely (not the full length of the ramp mind you, but just enough to get some good inertia on the "pop") , until your trucks back tires are just touching the water.
Then "pop" the brakes and the boat should just slide right off the trailer.
Get out of your truck, and if you don't want to get your feet wet, climb up into the truck bed and over the tailgate to stand on the trailer tongue or hitch.....grab the line and pull your boat in.
(if you have a camper...your SOL on getting into the truck bed)

If someone is in the boat and your backing the truck down, omit the line to the hitch post and just "pop" em off the trailer......you don't even have to get out of the truck.

As a safety precaution, stop the boat half way down the ramp and undo the safety chain and winch strap to make sure your boat is not going to slide off on it's own. That is highly unlikely to happen, but check it first before you go rolling down the ramp with the boat not secured to the trailer.

Its not unloading, its loadiing, we have floating docks, easy to pull off, loading im just a little shy of jumping on bumper to tongue, so i just wade and crank

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class

.... On a heavy duty truck that is not as much of an issue as it would be on a small pickup, SUV or car....

Good point. I have a 1 ton dually so I just assumed everyone also has one to tow with :p