NYS Trailer Inspection Requirements?

Andyfender

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is involved in a trailer inspection for NYS?

Can I keep my boat on the trailer? It's 14'.

Andy

rndn

Commander
Re: NYS Trailer Inspection Requirements?

General condition of trailer, lights, brakes(if equipped), tires, chains, hitch.
I have owned trailer boats in NYS for the past 25 years and I've never had a trailer inspected once. I've been pulled over while towing the boat and the trailer inspection never came up. I also know of several other NYS boaters that have never bothered to get their trailer inspected and also have never had an issue. I'm told that police couldn't care if it's inspected or not.
All of that said, it's still the law to get them inspected and they just may start looking at them with the towns, counties, and state looking for additional revenue streams.
No, you do not have to take your boat off the trailer for the inspection.
Here's a link to the official NYS list.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv529c.pdf

Bondo

Staff member

I have owned trailer boats in NYS for the past 25 years and I've never had a trailer inspected once.

Ayuh,... same here, for 35 years....

I don't even bother with it anymore...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

General condition of trailer, lights, brakes(if equipped), tires, chains, hitch.
I have owned trailer boats in NYS for the past 25 years and I've never had a trailer inspected once. I've been pulled over while towing the boat and the trailer inspection never came up. I also know of several other NYS boaters that have never bothered to get their trailer inspected and also have never had an issue. I'm told that police couldn't care if it's inspected or not.
All of that said, it's still the law to get them inspected and they just may start looking at them with the towns, counties, and state looking for additional revenue streams.
No, you do not have to take your boat off the trailer for the inspection.
Here's a link to the official NYS list.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv529c.pdf

Well, I don't know how you do it! The trailer registration renewal requires that you print in a valid inspection certificate number. I forgot to do that once and they bounced it back and wouldn't renew it.

Also, one time about 5 years ago I got stopped at a routine State police roadblock and after the officer checked that my trailer registration was current he asked to see my inspection sticker.

So I guess I'm not as lucky as some.

NYBo

Admiral

Well, I don't know how you do it! The trailer registration renewal requires that you print in a valid inspection certificate number. I forgot to do that once and they bounced it back and wouldn't renew it.

Also, one time about 5 years ago I got stopped at a routine State police roadblock and after the officer checked that my trailer registration was current he asked to see my inspection sticker.

I just renewed mine online this past week. I was expecting to have to enter the sticker number, but they didn't ask for it!

PeteyDaMan

Seaman

If you renew online, they never even ask for it. I hate going to the DMV office. I always seem to get the one worker who's having a bad day (or week, month, life.....) and feels the need to take it out on me by making my life difficult. Not to hijack the thread, but had one reject a recipt because it was from Connecticut. Well, yea, because I bought the trailer in Connecticut. She said it had to be a NY recipt and rejected the whole thing.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I haven't had mine inspected, either. Neither has my neighbor the cop :)

He was the one told me they don't enforce it. Bottom line, you're taking a chance, but I think I'll deal with it when I have to. I don't even know where I'd get that done...

Summer Fun

Banned

I have owned trailer boats in NYS for the past 25 years and I've never had a trailer inspected once.
Same here I never had one inspected. :)

rndn

Commander

I just leave mine blank and have for years. Never had them send it back. As noted above if you renew online the question never comes up.

I just realized that maybe I should remove the picture of my boat and trailer!!:eek: