• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYS Trailer Inspection Requirements?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYS Trailer Inspection Requirements?

What is involved in a trailer inspection for NYS?

Can I keep my boat on the trailer? It's 14'.

Andy

Re: NYS Trailer Inspection Requirements?

General condition of trailer, lights, brakes(if equipped), tires, chains, hitch.
    I have owned trailer boats in NYS for the past 25 years and I've never had a trailer inspected once. I've been pulled over while towing the boat and the trailer inspection never came up. I also know of several other NYS boaters that have never bothered to get their trailer inspected and also have never had an issue. I'm told that police couldn't care if it's inspected or not.
    All of that said, it's still the law to get them inspected and they just may start looking at them with the towns, counties, and state looking for additional revenue streams.
    No, you do not have to take your boat off the trailer for the inspection.
    Here's a link to the official NYS list.
    http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv529c.pdf
    1996 Crestliner 2160 Phantom, 1996 Evinrude 130 HP
    sigpic

Comment

I have owned trailer boats in NYS for the past 25 years and I've never had a trailer inspected once.
      Ayuh,... same here, for 35 years....

I don't even bother with it anymore...
      Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Originally posted by rndn View Post
        General condition of trailer, lights, brakes(if equipped), tires, chains, hitch.
        I have owned trailer boats in NYS for the past 25 years and I've never had a trailer inspected once. I've been pulled over while towing the boat and the trailer inspection never came up. I also know of several other NYS boaters that have never bothered to get their trailer inspected and also have never had an issue. I'm told that police couldn't care if it's inspected or not.
        All of that said, it's still the law to get them inspected and they just may start looking at them with the towns, counties, and state looking for additional revenue streams.
        No, you do not have to take your boat off the trailer for the inspection.
        Here's a link to the official NYS list.
        http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv529c.pdf
        Well, I don't know how you do it! The trailer registration renewal requires that you print in a valid inspection certificate number. I forgot to do that once and they bounced it back and wouldn't renew it.

Also, one time about 5 years ago I got stopped at a routine State police roadblock and after the officer checked that my trailer registration was current he asked to see my inspection sticker.

So I guess I'm not as lucky as some.
        2009 Starcraft 14' FLSS & Yamaha 25
        2005 SeaDoo GTX 4-Tec 155
        1984 Stingray SVB190SS & Mercruiser 3.0 Liter 140
        1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
        1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
        1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
        63 Outboards: 1919-2008, representing 11 manufacturers
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Originally posted by JimS123 View Post
          Well, I don't know how you do it! The trailer registration renewal requires that you print in a valid inspection certificate number. I forgot to do that once and they bounced it back and wouldn't renew it.

Also, one time about 5 years ago I got stopped at a routine State police roadblock and after the officer checked that my trailer registration was current he asked to see my inspection sticker.

I just renewed mine online this past week. I was expecting to have to enter the sticker number, but they didn't ask for it!
          Bob, Orange County NY
          '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri Bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
          Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
          Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

If you renew online, they never even ask for it. I hate going to the DMV office. I always seem to get the one worker who's having a bad day (or week, month, life.....) and feels the need to take it out on me by making my life difficult. Not to hijack the thread, but had one reject a recipt because it was from Connecticut. Well, yea, because I bought the trailer in Connecticut. She said it had to be a NY recipt and rejected the whole thing.
            2007 Chaparral 210 SSI w/ Volvo 5.0 GXi
            1999 Dodge Ram 1500 w/ 5.9

A bad day boating still beats a good day at work

Comment

I haven't had mine inspected, either. Neither has my neighbor the cop

He was the one told me they don't enforce it. Bottom line, you're taking a chance, but I think I'll deal with it when I have to. I don't even know where I'd get that done...
              John and Linda
              Long Island, NY
              Escapade III
              1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
              Twin Merc Alpha 4.3 'Gen +'

Comment

I have owned trailer boats in NYS for the past 25 years and I've never had a trailer inspected once.
                Same here I never had one inspected.

Comment

Originally posted by JimS123 View Post

I just leave mine blank and have for years. Never had them send it back. As noted above if you renew online the question never comes up.

I just realized that maybe I should remove the picture of my boat and trailer!!
                  1996 Crestliner 2160 Phantom, 1996 Evinrude 130 HP
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X