Tire size help!!!!

mattmjm90

Cadet
I've got a single axle 1979 cox trailer which has 185 80 13 trailer tires on it. They are trashed and the rims are trashed as well. I've got a 1978 19' Sea Ox Center Console with a 1979 Mariner 90hp on the trailer.
I have no clue as to what it weighs. My problem is that trailer tire and rim packages are ridiculously priced in my opinion. I've read that my current tires are rated for around 1,360lb. I've found some tires at harbour freight that are cheap, they are 5.3x12'' and rated at 1,045lb. Is it safe to use the smaller tires on this setup? I won't be driving any faster than 45mph and that would only be for short distances since I drive through town with lots of stop lights to get to my ramp.
Any thoughts would be helpful, especially if someone could give me the weight of my setup.

D

DJ

Re: Tire size help!!!!

No. That is not a light rig. You need 13's (proper rating). 12's are gross under.

The numbers (load) may look close but the reality is different.

mattmjm90

Cadet

Thanks, thats what I figured. Guess I've gotta dish out close to $200 a tire and rim. Any ides as to how much the rig weighs?

D

DJ

I can't see why you would need to pay anywhere near $200.00 per.

I have no idea what the rig weighs but your current tires/rims are a good indication of what is needed.

Keep in mind, you can "overtire" a rig too.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check out someplace like Sam's. They can order trailer tires for you. You bring in your rims and they will mount/balance them. And I think you would also get free tire repair, though they won't lift the trailer.

Tires should run in the neighborhood of $70-80 for Goodyears. At least that's where they were for 14 inch last time I checked.