ShoreLander Trailers - Any Problems?

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For some reason every single boat I have owned in the last 10yrs came with a Continental trailer. Today I am looking at buying a boat that comes with a ShoreLander trailer and from the pics it looks pretty flimsy compared to the Continental trailers. Has anyone had any problems or heard of any problems with ShoreLander trailers?

nlain

Commander
Re: ShoreLander Trailers - Any Problems?

Bought a boat in Feb 2004, Shorelandr trailer, last year I had to replace the brake lines, lines rusted at the fitting, then found brake pads dragging, rust on calipers, clean and lube, replace pads good to go. Other than that it has been good.

TilliamWe

Banned

My 1997 Shoreland'r galvanized tandem axle trailer worked great from the day it was new, (it was trailered A Lot in Florida for the 1st 4 years and dipped in saltwater plenty of times) until 1.5 years ago when I sold it. The last 8 years it sat A Lot, as I kept the boat in a slip. I did replace the brake's wheel cylinders once, and had to replace the wooden bunks. Those two items were when the trailer was about 7-8 years old. Pretty good, in my opinion.

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have any major problem with my 2000, did have to replaced the wood bunks, springs and brakes few month ago, but that not bad after 10 years...
The only thing is that they use some parts that can only be oem replacement and they are not cheap....

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I won't worry about the way they look then, as long as they last.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Had one on a new rig in 1997.
Painted, roller trailer, 1800# capacity, carrying a load of 1400# max.
The popular ShoreLandr wishbone style trailer with the rear crossmember that pivots.

Boat was used for a 1600 mile vacation each year, 200 miles of which was on gravel roads.

1997, bow roller split in half, keel roller broke.

1998, bow roller and both keel rollers broke. And the tongue developed a crack just aft of the winch post.

Found out that the rollers were defective and had been recalled, but the dealer kept replacing them at our cost.... till we found out.

1999, fender bracket cracked through, and the rear crossmember bolt sheared, causing the crossmember and roller assembly to fall to the road resulting in the boat hull being punctured, 2" x 2" gash. End of fishing trip - 10 days early.

We have seen this same exact failure on 2 other trailers, and have been told of several others by the repair shop.

2000, no problems.

2001, not used.

2002, Rear crossmember bolt again shear, resulting in a 1" x 6" cut in the hull.
The trailer was thrown away, junked.

Bought a new Karavan, has seen almost twice the use per year, ZERO problems over the last 7 years.

reelfishin

Captain

I've owned several, the oldest being around 30 years old, and painted at that and still going strong, two others are hitting their 20th birthday this year and have nothing other than a few pairs of new bunks and some new bunk carpet over their lifetime, and one that's only a few years old now, which has also been fine. I've owned Shoreland'r, Load Rite, Highlander, and Sealine trailers over the years and none have given me any particular problems other than what I'd consider normal wear and tear. What it boils down to is you get what you pay for, if you buy a low end model, and try to compare it to another brands top of the line, there's going to be a difference. Personally, I've never given much thought as to who made the trailer, I look mostly at the way a particular trailer is built and what components it has on it.