Mid/Small SUV Recommendation under $8k

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Mid/Small SUV Recommendation under $8k

besides the pathfinders that were previously mentioned, you have to take a look at nissan xterras. they are both nice reliable trucks. they tow well, and do very well for city driving (and offroad), very maneuverable and easy to park. they are solidly built, body on frame trucks. they are relatively inexpensive, for $8k you could get a nice one.

Another neighbor is in the radio business and so gets a new car every 3000 miles for promo work. He has had countless vehicles over the years. A few cars back he got a Nissan Xterra and thought it was the best car he had ever had and again this guy has had a lot of cars and suv's. He didn't tow but just couldn't say enough about the superiority of the Nissan. I am not a foreigh car person if for no other reason because I like depreciation when buying used and the foreign cars depreciate less and slower which doesn't work for me since I generally don't resell until they are completely used up.

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice

I have heard alot of good things about the Nissan Xterra/Pathfinder... although I have also heard to stay away from the supercharged 3.3.

Marty Niner

Seaman Apprentice

....if you are looking to stay with the "domestics" (the Chev Colorado, H3, Trailblaser etc. are all SAAB powered, definitely not a bad thing though, the 5 cyl 3.5 is a very good engine)...the early Durangos with the 4.7 V8 is also a very capable tow vehicle. Not the greatest on gas though.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just wanted to say thanks to all who relpied. I was getting frustrated not finding anything or being able to make up my mind..

I also wanted to disagree with JB (but sincerely respect his opinion) because my Dodge Caravan had NO problem towing my rig.... The boat is only 1080lb. Add motor 350 and trailer 400... plus full tank... The caravan towed it like it wasn't there, and never spun coming out on ramps (but it was front wheel drive)

I think I lucked out. One of the local dealers took a trade on Friday night of a 2003 Trailblazer LTZ model. 125,000 KM (thats what, about 85,000 miles?) They are asking $6900 AS traded. It's sitting in the mechanics lot right now. The dealer had a copy of Carproof (it hit a deer last year, and needed a new grill and hood repainted, but thats it)

I crawled under the chassis. No leaking oil anywhere, VERY clean. I didn't find any rust anywhere.

It has the tow package and transmission cooler, and loaded. Also has all 4 wheel disc brakes (not rear drum) test drive was smooth, and handled bumps like a dream.

That price is the current going wholesale price.... and can't find it cheaper as is...

So, pending my mechanics approval.... I am hoping I found my new wheels! Will post photos if all goes well...

Interesting thread, always love to hear all the input from various points of view...

jkust

Rear Admiral

Well an early congrats to you. That was the last year they used the LTZ designation for the Trailblazer. Tow package was standard on all of the Trailblazers/Envoys/Rainiers/9-7x/Ascenders. Does it have 4wd? I would really check out the 4wd system since there are a good share of issues with it and it is expensive to fix. Some times the 4wd isn't even working but you can't tell on dry land. Or the 4AWD switch will work but the 4wd selection wont. Just make sure your mechanic knows these trucks. After buying my Rainier it needed a seal in the AWD system and not many would touch it I discovered. There are two seals one insanely expensive to fix and one cheap. Luckily mine was the cheap one otherwise I would have questioned the deal I got. That is very low miles for a 2003 also. After you drive one you realize quickly why so many are on the road. It is a great vehicle for that kind of money. Does it have a moon roof as well? I wouldn't even think twice about the dear hit. I look at it as getting a nice new, no rock chipped hood. I believe it was the 02's or 03's that had a problem with cracking cylinders as well. As catastrauphic and unrealistic as that sounds I actually came upon one of those and the owner finally called and fessed up before I got there to look at it. I don't know what the symptoms are since I never saw it.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had to replace the front left cv axle seal on my aunt's 04 Trailvoy, was about $15 I believe, suppose to be kinda common on those.

Electric shift transfer cases suck indeed.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Have you checked out the v6 Equinox?

I really liked the Trailblazer and the Acadia, but I can't justify getting a car that gets 15 miles around town.

We ended up getting an Equinox, which has the old tried/true 3.4 V6 that GM has made for a million years.

Around town she gets ~20.

On the highway at 70 she'll get close to 25.

It is rated for 3500 lb trailer, and comes stock with a tranny cooler (regardless of tow package).

jkust

Rear Admiral

Have you checked out the v6 Equinox?

I really liked the Trailblazer and the Acadia, but I can't justify getting a car that gets 15 miles around town.

We ended up getting an Equinox, which has the old tried/true 3.4 V6 that GM has made for a million years.

Around town she gets ~20.

On the highway at 70 she'll get close to 25.

It is rated for 3500 lb trailer, and comes stock with a tranny cooler (regardless of tow package).

I can attest to the 3.4 liter. Mine in my minivan has almost 130k on it and has been bulletproof. It gets mid 20's mixed but never was a powerhouse though it towed my 4k lb rig for a season without too much complaining. It easily towed over 1k of snowmobiles.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Hyundai Sante Fe... V6, 4X4

By the way, not the same vehicle as a Kia Sorento. The Sorento is a real truck but I did not care for it.

Built in Alabama, Designed in California so not technically a foreign vehicle.

TerryMSU

Who cares, profits still go to Korea where we can't sell an automobile. YOu are selling America out.

ECVCHAMP

Seaman

I tow my 21' Reinell with a 99 Toyota 4runner with a V6. No problem on the flats, a little underpowered in the hills.

TEST5.jpg

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

do yourself a favor and get a jeep liberty, they are way under priced for what you get in a used suv, the gassers can tow 3500lbs all day long and not even break a sweat the 3.7 in them has power to spare and they are built like a brick sh-t house if you get a 4x4 one you could tow 4 of your boats no problem, my wife has an 06 with the diesel in it and it will tow up to 5500lbs with no upgrades, plus it gets 32mpg well about 28 mpg when im towing my 21ft carolina skiff down the road, you can get a really good used 06 to 08 liberty in the 6 to 8 thousand range

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well - update to this thread. That trailblazer deal fell through. It was going to require $1400 of work to safety it, and I decided to just keep shopping... Yesterday, one of the dealers I had spoke to when I was shopping, gave me a ring, and he had just got in exactly what I wanted. Color, mileage, options and features. Slightly more than I wanted to spend, but you only live once.. Thats what credit is for I guess.. lol

Here she is. 2003 GMC Envoy, with the 4.2L, 110,000KMS (66000 miles) loaded with power everything - and tranny cooler (rated for 6300LB)

She is super clean inside and out.... can't wait to see how she tows.

Env1.jpg

tawood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice truck, I think you will like it.
I have an '03 Trailblazer and I LOVE IT! That 4.2L kicks arse! It has almost 300 hp, lots of torq, and pulls better than my '08 Toyota tundra with the 400 hp 5.7...no bs....I hate that Tundra, it is by far the biggest piece of junk I have ever owned. But don't get me started...
Oh, and I have the Trailblazer 2wd, which means I get mid 20's for gas mileage on the highway. (I drive slow). The best I ever got was going 170 miles, all at 60 mph on the free-way: 29.5 mpg.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Nice vehicle the Envoy. I like the trailblazer as well. Hope to get one when we have saved enough money again after our daughters wedding.:D

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice, looks like it will make a solid tow vehicle, congrats.

mippel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats, looks nice.
Now are you going to paint it to match the boat?

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes congrats, that is a nice looking truck.
The Envoys look better than the Chevy and with those wheels I'm sure it has my fav perforated metal grille.
Good luck with'er.

You should be happy with the Envoy. I had one, as well as a a V8 Cherokee, both were great vehicles. GM has stepped up their game lately. I used to be Mopar all the way but now I have a Chevy Malibu (Wife) and a 3500 GMC....and love them both. Congrats on the car and enjoy....most important thing is that it will get you to the lake and back home.