Gettin away from Carlisle Tires???

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice
I had two blowouts last weekend with Carlisle tires. The sidewalls blew out on both. So I am looking for new tires, but all I seem to find is the garbage Carlisle brand. Anyone have info on a better tire and where to get em at?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Gettin away from Carlisle Tires???

Goodyear Marathon Radials.<br /><br />I trailer 200+ miles a weekend, never a problem.

Gail Wrede

Cadet

Originally posted by Shawdaddy:<br /> I had two blowouts last weekend with Carlisle tires. The sidewalls blew out on both. So I am looking for new tires, but all I seem to find is the garbage Carlisle brand. Anyone have info on a better tire and where to get em at?

Pony

Rear Admiral

If they both blew on the same trip I have a really hard time believing it is the tire's fault....IMHO.<br /><br />Now before you go calling everything they put out garbage........................<br /><br />I have used them for awhile, my dad used them on the trailer before I got it for a long time too.....they are ok tires, given you are using them properly and maintaining them. Like I said, if both tires blew, I would wonder if they were the right load rating, or if you had them both under/over inflated.....etc.<br /><br />I agree with Bomar, Goodyears are good tires. I have had them on a different trailer as well. You should be able to find them online or at trailer places.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Many years ago I had two new Carlisle tires blow out on the same trip.<br /><br />Shoddy tires? That's what I thought, too.<br /><br />The I learned a bit.<br /> <br />1. They were rated for something like 700lb each under a 2000lb load.<br />2. I had 30lb of air in them.<br /><br />The wonder is that it took almost 3000 miles at 75-80mph to blow the second one. I really think that any brand would have blown under that abuse.<br /><br />I still use Carlisles, but see to it that the load rating well exceeds the actual load and that the air pressure is exactly as specified on the sidewall. I have not had a failure when I treat them correctly.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Overloading and underinflation -- the two biggest killers of tires (any tires).

Shawdaddy

Seaman Apprentice

The tires were a "D" load rating and have a max load of 2540lbs on each tire. My boat and trailer weight almost 3000lbs. So the load is fine. I always checked the tires cold and inflated to 65psi. This was on a 25 mile trip and the spare that blew out..was brand spankin new. Never seen the road at all.. I could understand if the tire had like 10K miles on em and I tow at 85mph, but the tires maybe have 1000 miles on em and I tow between 50-60 mph. I have been told by numerous ppl to stay away from Carlisle. I think I will go with the Goodyears or the Titan ST II. Thx for the help guys.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

The carlisle radials got another one. <br />The goodyears are good tires, don't know anything about the titans. I replaced mine with cooper trailer tires and like them. Cheaper than goodyears. <br /><br />Did the tire blow out damage your fourwinns trailer? My blow out bent the wheel well and broke the light. I hope fourwinns quit putting these crap tires on the new boats.

MRS

Commander

I had three blow outs in one day :mad: all with carlisle the last one was in the drive way when we finaly got home. Tires all great shape before blow outs but I cant really blame the tires because the one that blew in the drive way blew because we were checking out the trailer and the other tires when my friends son reach down and touched the value steam and it fell off :eek: They were all rotten now when ever I get tires on any thing I put the rubber brass type steams on. :)